Nightcap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A large Green Spot. Irish Pot Still whiskey.

Tim Hall

I have some Definitely Not Port, Oh No Siree No from McGuigan when I did a tour of misc. Hunter Valley wineries in August. It's not really called that although it should be. Personal Reserve Tawny is what it says on the label, the word Port being a protected characteristic.

It's nearly all gone.

I made my 1st bottle of sloe gin last year and it was very successful.
Tomorrow I should be bottling this years crop and have been a lot more successful with the foraging so reckon I may fill at least half a dozen bottles..... Roll on Christmas :cheers:
Are the sloes out in force yet? I must go and look. Last year I found few handfuls along my dog walk route and I picked them. On my way home I popped in to the local supermarket to get a half bottle of gin. I only had the halfjack to pay for at the till but the cashier told me it is not 10:00 AM yet and I can't yet buy it. I said there must be some mistake because this was my breakfast gin, but she didn't get it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Please explain the allure of sloe gin for the benefit of the rest of us plebs. What additional quality do the sloes confer on a drink that's already hard to better, especially when mixed with tonic, with a slice of lime and some ice?

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Please explain the allure of sloe gin for the benefit of the rest of us plebs. What additional quality do the sloes confer on a drink that's already hard to better, especially when mixed with tonic, with a slice of lime and some ice?
The British used to take gin neat. They only started putting it in tonic water, note the order, to sweeten the bitterness of the tonic thus making the anti-malarial palatable.

Thusly virtues are.made of necessities.

Tim Hall

You strain the sloes out when it's ready and put them on your muesli. Takes the edge off the day.

Nibor

Bewildered
I made my 1st bottle of sloe gin last year and it was very successful.
Tomorrow I should be bottling this years crop and have been a lot more successful with the foraging so reckon I may fill at least half a dozen bottles..... Roll on Christmas :cheers:
I struggle finding sloes here

I take a wee dram of whatever is whiskey is going cheap at Aldi.
My cherry vodka didn't really work, it improved neither the cherries nor the vodka.

Top Bottom