Nimby attacks cyclists shock...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CotterPin

I noticed that none of the nimbies have commented yet.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Perhaps they should hold one of those "Critical Mass" events there, I believe they're very successful at fostering rapprochement between cyclists and non-cyclists

That looks like a driveway in the photo.... I hope non-one is driing along this footpath - perhaps we need bollards?

wafflycat

As regards liability - if the road is indeed private (unadopted) they could well have a legitimate point if someone comes off by say, hitting a pothole. Seems to me it's more like a bad choice of location by Sustrans & local authority. But hey, what's new in that department!

domd1979

Veteran
There's something missing from that story somewhere. Its basically saying there is an established right of way along the footpath, and also says that residents were written to. Half of them probably binned the letter without bothering to read it properly. The article only says one of the streets are privately owned, and not the footpath. IIRC, if a route has been used regularly by people for a certain number of years, it can be made a right of way by default regardless of who owns it. I find it difficult to believe that WCC have apparently just turned up to widen a footpath that isn't theirs onto land that isn't theirs without any kind of legal basis.

The liability thing annoys me - are they going to refuse the postman (probably with bicycle), bin lorry, couriers, newspaper deliverers access in case one of them falls over on their "private" road and they get a compensation claim?

wafflycat said:
As regards liability - if the road is indeed private (unadopted) they could well have a legitimate point if someone comes off by say, hitting a pothole. Seems to me it's more like a bad choice of location by Sustrans & local authority. But hey, what's new in that department!

purplepolly

domd1979 said:
residents were written to. Half of them probably binned the letter without bothering to read it properly.

More than likely, but a letter describing the changes that are going to happen isn't consultation. It sounds like this has been badly handled by the council and sustrans. If the residents had been spoken to at the outset, they may well have responded more reasonably and I doubt that the comments attached to the article will help to improve matters.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

From the OS map it is clearer. There is a riverside trail (Severn Way) between here and the centre, passing through and out the other side - a traffic free route. The route here refers to using an unadopted road.

It would suggest that this is in fact the use of a recognised and established National Trail - a fairly logical progression.

Top Bottom