Niterider Lumina 950 boost OLED.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alsajosora

Über Member
I currently commute to work using a Wiggle lifeline 475 front light alongside a Lezyne 400xl...

Neither of these lights is bright enough on their own for me to comfortably ride through dark country lanes which form part of my daily commute. I use both on their maximum setting whilst in the lanes and dial them back to their minimum settings for the short town part of my journey.

The Lifeline isn't waterproof (to the point where I wrap Clingfilm round it if it is raining!) and the Lezyne is really weedy, so I have decided to invest in a new light. I also previously had a MOON X330 that died on me whilst halfway to work two months out of warranty.... Moon didn't want to know...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/niterider-lumina-oled-950-boost-front-light/

After some research I decided on this puppy, still running the Lezyne alongside but using this to light up the lanes.

I received it from Wiggle today and........ Even after six hours of charging it fails to turn on...... There is also no indication that it is actually charging either.....Needless to say I am sending it back faulty for a replacement.

I also e-mailed Niteriders customer services and have yet to have a reply back.....Alarm bells starting to ring.

Have any of you guys got/had a niterider light, if so what are your thoughts on them?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Nightmare. My moon meteor (which I loved) died just out of warranty also. The battery (non replaceable) gave up the ghost.

So your new light cost over a HUNDRED squid and does not seem to charge. OMG.

Are you charging via USB cable, and if so is it the cable that it came with ?

That is a beast of a light, if it works. Good on you for buying a decent light.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Maybe I'm a cheap skate but I've been using a CREE XML T6 2200Lm for the last three years and all my rides are on dark country lanes, never missed a beat and the batterys still holding their charge, why pay more.

OP
OP
Alsajosora

Alsajosora

Über Member
I used to use two CREE XML T6 500lm but have found that their "spread" isn't as good and they weren't very good at highlighting potholes because they tended to "washout" the road surface!!
I'm paying more because so far (not including the E-bay CREE's ) I have spent £160 on the three lights mentioned above!!!

The Niterider also comes with a lifetime warranty which after what happened to my Moon is quite an attractive pull... ;O)

I tried charging with the supplied cable via both a computers USB port and a plug socket charger....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Maybe I'm a cheap skate but I've been using a CREE XML T6 2200Lm for the last three years and all my rides are on dark country lanes, never missed a beat and the batterys still holding their charge, why pay more.
Ooh, maybe because they don't like oncoming riders hurling abuse at them for dazzling them if they've not managed to fit a decent road lens?

Or because they don't like having to stay near the fire-prone batteries while they're being charged?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I currently commute to work using a Wiggle lifeline 475 front light alongside a Lezyne 400xl...

Neither of these lights is bright enough on their own for me to comfortably ride through dark country lanes which form part of my daily commute. I use both on their maximum setting whilst in the lanes and dial them back to their minimum settings for the short town part of my journey.

The Lifeline isn't waterproof (to the point where I wrap Clingfilm round it if it is raining!) and the Lezyne is really weedy, so I have decided to invest in a new light. I also previously had a MOON X330 that died on me whilst halfway to work two months out of warranty.... Moon didn't want to know...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/niterider-lumina-oled-950-boost-front-light/

After some research I decided on this puppy, still running the Lezyne alongside but using this to light up the lanes.

I received it from Wiggle today and........ Even after six hours of charging it fails to turn on...... There is also no indication that it is actually charging either.....Needless to say I am sending it back faulty for a replacement.

I also e-mailed Niteriders customer services and have yet to have a reply back.....Alarm bells starting to ring.

Have any of you guys got/had a niterider light, if so what are your thoughts on them?

The problem with spending a lot on a light is you can't be sure if you are getting genuine quality, or a cheap and nasty generic Chinese light with a badge and a ludicrously high profit margin slapped on it.

Were I in this market, I would look at Hope in the hope (ho-ho) that I would get something worth its money.

@StuAff has a couple of Hopes and having ridden with him, my view is they are plenty bright enough for dark country lanes.

http://www.hopetech.com/products/lights/

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Ooh, maybe because they don't like oncoming riders hurling abuse at them for dazzling them if they've not managed to fit a decent road lens?

Or because they don't like having to stay near the fire-prone batteries while they're being charged?
You can get a diffuser lens for the cree lights on ebay and as the the fire risk read my post 3 years old........
Or maybe it's not in “vogue” and would not look good on the club runs.

oldstrath

Über Member
Yes, you can. Have you?

I hear you can play the lottery without winning for 3 years.
Thing is though, even non- cheap lithium batteries can be a fire hazard, for example Panasonic
http://cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/Panasonic-Recalls-Lithium-ion-Laptop-Battery-Packs/

Really, need to treat them all carefully (or stick to NiMH chemistry).

roadbikeron

I ran across this forum while searching known issues with this light. How did this work out for you? I I bought the same light a couple of months ago and worked fantastically until this a.m. Temps were in the single digits and the thing simply stopped working. I had 67% charge on it when I left the house and was about 20 minutes into the commute. The local shop swapped it for another which worked fine in store but it turned out to be dead as well when I got it home to charge up. Spoke with niterider and they were willing to take it back and they were quick to offer to ship out an original 950 (non-oled) with some other stuff. So, I'm wondering if this light just has issues.

OP
OP
Alsajosora

Alsajosora

Über Member
Hmmm, I've been using my replacement one for a couple of months now and it appears to be fine.
I do charge it when I get to work and in the evening when I get home and lately it has had several sub-zero (one down as low as -7!!) trips out with no issues.

Top Bottom