Nitto R50 Saddlebag Grip **Withdrawn**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maroon

Über Member
Hi
Please guys can anyone advise where I can get one of these or something similar.
I have a Brooks B17 saddle and glenbrook bag but would like the option of being able to quickly remove the bag

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Thanks jefmcg, appreciate that sorry to be perdantic but would you know whether the bags would swing around

lpretro1

Thanks jefmcg, appreciate that sorry to be perdantic but would you know whether the bags would swing around
The bag will swing around a fair bit if a lot is put in it and you need to have decent clearance for it not to rub on the frame. The first mount listed is a steel band so not suitable for a carbon seatpost

I've got a carradice barley bag with the SQR fitting and big thighs. It doesn't swing around so that I have ever noticed - ie I think it doesn't move at all.

I really love the SQR, though it has two big problems: it weighs a pound, and it costs £45. I picked a bike with an alloy seatpost, but carradice suggests you can use a carbon seatpost, if you protect it. http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=static&url=faq

The steel bands last a little over 10,000 km with the SQR fitting. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/carradice-sqr-mount-failing.168734/, so if you go that way, I'd suggest adding a £3 spare to your emergency kit for long rides.

I find the SQR system so convenient, I'd probably buy all the bits again if my bike was stolen. I'd research "bike packing" and look at Wild Cat Gear and Alpkit before committing, though.

The bag will swing around a fair bit if a lot is put in it and you need to have decent clearance for it not to rub on the frame. The first mount listed is a steel band so not suitable for a carbon seatpost

Um, with the second fitting it cannot rub the frame. Tyre and/or mudguard, yes - if there is not enough clearance, but not the frame. And as it does not swing about at all. Nor the bagman, from what I have read.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Thank you so much guys really appreciate your input. I got the bag off eBay at a really good price without researching it properly I didn't realise I'd need a quick release option my idea was to get rid of my pannier rack and the glenbrook allows me to do this as your able to get loads in the bag I'm hoping one of the systems mentioned works with the brooks

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Just had another thought is there anywhere I can see/buy one of these in central London ??

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
I've got a carradice barley bag with the SQR fitting and big thighs. It doesn't swing around so that I have ever noticed - ie I think it doesn't move at all.

I really love the SQR, though it has two big problems: it weighs a pound, and it costs £45. I picked a bike with an alloy seatpost, but carradice suggests you can use a carbon seatpost, if you protect it. http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=static&url=faq

The steel bands last a little over 10,000 km with the SQR fitting. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/carradice-sqr-mount-failing.168734/, so if you go that way, I'd suggest adding a £3 spare to your emergency kit for long rides.

I find the SQR system so convenient, I'd probably buy all the bits again if my bike was stolen. I'd research "bike packing" and look at Wild Cat Gear and Alpkit before committing, though.

Um, with the second fitting it cannot rub the frame. Tyre and/or mudguard, yes - if there is not enough clearance, but not the frame. And as it does not swing about at all. Nor the bagman, from what I have read.

Please explain the £3.00 comment I didn't understand what you meant

vickster

Legendary Member
Carradice retailers in London
https://www.carradice.co.uk/stockists.html

Call in advance if making a special trip to see something specific as the page suggests

£3 for the rings that can fail on the mount. Explained in linked thread. Have spares in case

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
It's not the bag it's me. This boils down to not doing ones research properly, I wasn't aware I'd need another bit if I wanted to take the bag off if I wanted to leave the bike chained up. Think I've got a solution and will be looking at a carradice bag man this weekend which may solve the problem if this works out I may sell my ti pannier and keep the bag instead.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
It's not the bag it's me. This boils down to not doing ones research properly, I wasn't aware I'd need another bit if I wanted to take the bag off if I wanted to leave the bike chained up. Think I've got a solution and will be looking at a carradice bag man this weekend which may solve the problem if this works out I may sell my ti pannier and keep the bag instead.

Afternoon all,
After giving it some thought I took your advice and managed to get down to condor cycles and found the mount. I've decided to withdraw the bag from sale thanks again for the support much appreciated

Sidenote.
I wasn't aware depending on your seating position the other SQR mount requires you to shift the seat backwards to accommodate the clamp, I couldn't do this as this would have caused issues therefore I chose this one ... Thanks again

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I wasn't aware depending on your seating position the other SQR mount requires you to shift the seat backwards to accommodate the clamp, I couldn't do this as this would have caused issues therefore I chose this one ... Thanks again
Okay, now I'm confused. I'm looking at the SQR mount, and I can't see how the bike seat being too far forward could possibly cause a problem. Maybe if it was too far back it might cause a problem, even that doesn't seem likely.

Still if you're happy with your purchase, yay.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Okay, now I'm confused. I'm looking at the SQR mount, and I can't see how the bike seat being too far forward could possibly cause a problem. Maybe if it was too far back it might cause a problem, even that doesn't seem likely.

Still if you're happy with your purchase, yay.
Hi jefmcg,
My bad I meant too far back, we tried it the store and I would've had to my seating position which would've been a problem anyways I'm still happy now.

Thanks again for the guidance

Top Bottom