No brakes today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

It was somewhat wishfull thinking about having a headwind on the way home.

I noticed that as I 'crawled' down one particularly long bank at 25mph on the brakes that I was having real trouble keeping up with the cadence and felt very out of control. Yet, as soon as I hit the flat at the bottom I was comfortable doing 28/30mph.

A lot obviously depends upon your body position and how tense you are. I will have to keep practacing.

btw, I often hit 50 down this bank on a geared bike so there's NO way i'm ever going to just let the fixie loose down it. I would need to pedal at joes 240rpm to keep up!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
You need to be on the front of the saddle i find, and be more upright.
I end up with my hands on the flats, proping myself as upright as i can.

I have been riding fixed for over a year now though, so i can go out now and just spin.

It is strange that when im spinning fast downhill, say at just over 30mph, i want my hands on the flats, but on the flat i can sprint at 33/34mph and be on the drops comfortably.

I was told to go further forward on the saddle by someone who rode fixed for about 9 years i think, and i tried it. Going too far forward isnt so nice, but when you find the spot just forwad, its good.
I was in derbyshire and i could keep up going downhill with others on gears, was waiting for a few others:laugh:
Cournering was alright aswell, past a few on courners, or before courners, and on a few sets when i was on the front i went around the courners, looked behind and everyone was way off behind.
Just shows how some people on gears can be right pussys;)

Joe24

Rhys_Po said:
Err ... nope

YOU and YC are both idiots.
I was right.
240 means that ONE leg, does 2 revs every second, both legs will do 4 revs for every second.
I dont think its possible to do though.
120rpm, one leg isnt doing 2 revs every second, i know, i counted:rolleyes:

Joe24

Young Un said:
I think your wrong, but I can't be bothered wasting my time argueing.

YC, go out and get your legs doing 120rpm.
Then count how many times your right leg goes around in that time.
Then come back to me and tell me im wrong;)

bonj2

Young Un said:
I think your wrong, but I can't be bothered wasting my time argueing.

I don't think he's wrong so much as trying to pull your leg Steve ;)
think about what it would be like if you took one foot off the pedal and put it on the cross bar. If you carried on going the same speed, would your other leg suddenly have to go twice as fast? :laugh:

Next task: try to convince someone that in a left hand drive car, you have to steer "left" (anticlockwise) to go right. Or that the accelerator is on the left. My brother's once succeeded in that.

bonj2

I'd had an idea for an invention: would it be possible to design a hub, such that it had a 'clutch': i.e. there are clutch plates in the hub similar to the clutch plates on a car, and with it out, it operates like a normal fixed hub, but put the clutch in (could be cable activated) it effectively allows it to freewheel, and turns into a single speed. You could use the back brake lever for it, and just pull it on whenever you were going down a big hill.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

YOU and YC are both idiots.
I was right.
240 means that ONE leg, does 2 revs every second, both legs will do 4 revs for every second.
I dont think its possible to do though.
120rpm, one leg isnt doing 2 revs every second, i know, i counted:rolleyes:

Sorry Joe, 240rpm means the cranks rotate 240 times in a minute or 4 complete revolutions in a second.

If you're counting how many times you push a pedal in a second you will have pushed one side 4 times but the other side only 3 times (7 in total)

Top Bottom