No brakes today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

For the first time ever after months of trying I finally rode all the way into work without having to feather the brakes on some of the downhills.

Sadly, this wasn't because ive changed my gearing , or because i've started spinning quicker. It was because there was a huricane strength headwind.

Going back home tonight if it's a tailwind should be 'intresting'

bonj2

same here!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I once rode to work without touching the brakes, id been to my Gfs the day before and she had given me a lift home. Id loosened the brakes to get the front wheel out and forgot about it, and didnt bother to close them back up.
Was abit strange when i pulled the brake and the lever just touched the bars, but it was alright.
Did 39.7mph down my road today, spinning at nearly 200rpm with no warm up, not bad i thought, if it was abit longer i could have hit 200rpm, or if i didnt brake.

zoom zoom

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

I maxed out at 34mph, with a gearing of 48x18. I've no idea what sort of cadence that is (certainly isn't 200rpm) but it was quick enough for me!

Joe24

RedBike said:
I maxed out at 34mph, with a gearing of 48x18. I've no idea what sort of cadence that is (certainly isn't 200rpm) but it was quick enough for me!

Well 41.7 is 200rpm.
20.8 is 100rpm
10.4 is 50rpm
5.2 is 25rpm.

So im guessing thats around the 160/165rpm mark? maybe? Its the same gearing as me. I used to know how fast my legs were going at certain speeds, but i just go by 200rpm now and aim for that, or faster if i can:laugh:

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

160 will do fine for me.
Thats twice as quick as they would be turning if I was on a geared bike.

Joe24

Go on, you know you want that extra few rpm to get your legs doing 200rpm;)
Id love to get my legs doing 240rpm, doubt i could do it though, but my legs would be spinning pretty damn fast if i did that.
Would it be tice a second if i did 240rpm, or have i worked that out wrong?;)

Young Un

Joe24 said:
Go on, you know you want that extra few rpm to get your legs doing 200rpm;)
Id love to get my legs doing 240rpm, doubt i could do it though, but my legs would be spinning pretty damn fast if i did that.
Would it be tice a second if i did 240rpm, or have i worked that out wrong?;)

240 rpm = 240/60 = 4 times a second

Joe24

Young Un said:
240 rpm = 240/60 = 4 times a second

But each leg will be going around 2 times a second?

Dan B

Disengaged member
So what's your max rpm on the flat, where you don't have gravity assisting?

I managed 145-150 for a minute on the turbo yesterday, but then the lactate started getting to me and I could feel I was bouncing around a bit. Don't know how fast I could go in a lower gear/resistance, mind

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

I tend to max out on the fixie on the flat at just shy of 25mph, which would be a cadence of about 125rpm.

At such a high cadence I just haven't got the power needed to go any quicker!

Young Un

coruskate said:
So what's your max rpm on the flat, where you don't have gravity assisting?

I managed 145-150 for a minute on the turbo yesterday, but then the lactate started getting to me and I could feel I was bouncing around a bit. Don't know how fast I could go in a lower gear/resistance, mind

I think on the turbo on a reasonable resistance I can hold around 160-170 for a minute. When I did spin ups last year I'd easily get 200, think my pb was 210.

Joe24

On a spin bike i got up to 213rpm one time.
On the flat on a 72" fixed i can get up to 34mph, think i could have gone abit faster but i had an island coming up

Top Bottom