no cleats for me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apollo179

Thank you apollo, can't beat a good huff or a flounce in my opinion. I went out for a couple of hours so missed the excitement, I assume it was a particularly offensive picture of Spiderman unless the admin is a DC comics fan of course.

No it was a totally innocuous picture of spiderman - i cant really remember that clearly anthing about it other than it was not offensive. I suspect it was basically just off topic , not relevant and the moderator wanted to deter people posting random spurious pictures. Not worth getting to upset over - ive had complete threads worth of posts wiped out by the moderator. He allways gives a reason though so presumably did to yahoody.

D

Deleted member 1258

If you were on clipless you could have got back a lot quicker and not missed it :smile: Or were you clipped in anyway?

I was on the geared bike so I was clipped in, it was the gale that was blowing that slowed me down. ;)

albion

Guru
I considered going back to cleats or even straps but priority is comfort over speed.

On a 90 mile ride the other day my feet were getting numb so am hopeful the extra platform and grip will ensure it is minimised.

I do recall that when I used CLEATS foot numbness was more of a problem so I'm now giving these a try. From Tesco of all places! http://virtuebike.co...oom/pedal12.jpg
pedal12.jpg

bigjim

Legendary Member
I've some of those. Got mine from Clas Ohlson. I think they were on offer for a fiver. Nice light pedal that enable you to put a lot of force through the pedal, especially on hills. I really like them. I filed grooves on mine between the nodules to give me even more grip. Especially good for trackstanding or cycling uphill out of the saddle. Good choice.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I considered going back to cleats or even straps but priority is comfort over speed.

On a 90 mile ride the other day my feet were getting numb so am hopeful the extra platform and grip will ensure it is minimised.

I do recall that when I used CLEATS foot numbness was more of a problem so I'm now giving these a try. From Tesco of all places! http://virtuebike.co...oom/pedal12.jpg
pedal12.jpg

If you want to go back to cleats try a pedal with a larger contact area and/or a different retention system and/or new shoes, whatever you do good luck :smile:

albion

Guru
Add to that knee problems.I also recall that when it was minus 8 I had to bung some thick sorbothane in my cleated Shimano shoes to prevent an onset of ice burn.

g00se

Veteran
I have a rigid toe cage fitted, when it was mounted square on the pedal I was getting intense knee pain after a long ride, I have since attached it 'off center' so yes the edge of my foot is overhanging the pedal and my heel just avoids scraping the crank. The only problem is the cage is only able to be attached with 1 bolt in this position so on a long ride tends to keep slackening and the cage rotating when foot off the pedals, which using cleats would solve. Looking at it again it is probably actually closer to '5 past, 15degs' but I don't think a cleat would allow for that either!! Going to have to come up with a way of fitting the cage more solidly I had to tighten it at least a dozen times on the SOM audax last week :sad:

Hi. Have a look at Time ATAC pedals. They're Time's MTB 2-hole clipless pedal. They'll fit SPD shoes. The cleats will disengage either heel-out or heel-in and depending on which shoe you install the cleat, you'll either have 11 or 17 degrees on each side of centre. With that and the freedom to offset the cleat on the shoe by about 5 or 6 degrees, you could end up with 23 degrees before you break out.

Also, with that much offset, it might be easier to unclip heel-in with the ATACs.

The Time pedals also have a lovely 'clang' clipping in and out.

Speedplay pedals would be another option for loads of float (play) compared to SPD or even ATAC, but they aren't cheap.

albion

Guru
I gave those platform pedals a good test.They initially did not feel much different until the rain came. Rather than beig worse they seemed to be even better.Good indeed for hills so certainly a decent buy.

Hi. Have a look at Time ATAC pedals. They're Time's MTB 2-hole clipless pedal. They'll fit SPD shoes. The cleats will disengage either heel-out or heel-in and depending on which shoe you install the cleat, you'll either have 11 or 17 degrees on each side of centre. With that and the freedom to offset the cleat on the shoe by about 5 or 6 degrees, you could end up with 23 degrees before you break out.

Also, with that much offset, it might be easier to unclip heel-in with the ATACs.

The Time pedals also have a lovely 'clang' clipping in and out.

Speedplay pedals would be another option for loads of float (play) compared to SPD or even ATAC, but they aren't cheap.

:thumbsup: Thanks both look interesting options, especially the speedplay just the price!

Top Bottom