No Energy Last Night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtwin

Sounds like you have the same virus as I have.

Got it a couple of years ago - before that, never had bad days on the bike, just good ones and super ones.

I forget the correct latin name, but it's commonly called "getting old".

jimboalee

Put all the science books back on the shelf and take a 'real world' challenge.

Sort yourself out a 100km route for a Sunday morning ride.

Don't ride on Friday and eat a BMR number of calories. Don't ride on Saturday and eat a BMR number of calories. Don't do any other type of exercise on these two days either, just rest.

Get up Sunday and eat a 600 calorie breakfast two hours before you set off.

Option 1. Ride the 100 km as fast as you possibly can without stopping or eating like you are chasing your daughter's kidnappers. You will receive £100 for every minute under 3 hours.

Option 2. Ride the 100km to achieve the AUK minimum speed of 10 kmh. Stop as often as you like but DON'T eat anything. You will receive a new bike if you cross the finish line at 10:00:00.

Drink only water on both rides.

Now predict my question.

jimboalee

Another scenario.

You've been airdropped in the Saudi desert a few dozen miles from the Kuwaiti border. You are dressed in full combat with a 70lb burgen and a SLR with 500 rounds.
You have four litres of water and two 'field rations'.

Do you - 1/ Run to the rendevouz point and bed down for a rest while waiting for everyone else,
or 2/ Walk.

PK99

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Another scenario.

You've been airdropped in the Saudi desert a few dozen miles from the Kuwaiti border. You are dressed in full combat with a 70lb burgen and a SLR with 500 rounds.
You have four litres of water and two 'field rations'.

Do you - 1/ Run to the rendevouz point and bed down for a rest while waiting for everyone else,
or 2/ Walk.

Read the upto date & widely available stuff:

eg
Question: Should I work in my fat burning zone to lose more weight?

Answer: The idea that you burn more fat in your 'fat burning zone' (or at the lower end of your target heart rate zone, about 60% to 70% of your maximum heart rate) has been around for years and it comes from the idea that, at lower intensities, your body relies more on fat stores for energy. On the surface, this seems like it would lead to more fat loss but the opposite is actually true.

In reality, you do burn a higher proportion of calories from fat during low-intensity exercise...but, you burn more total calories during high-intensity exercise and it's the total calories that matter when it comes to weight loss, not the percentage of fat or carbs used.

Does that mean you shouldn't do low-intensity exercise? Not at all. You can still burn calories, although you may need to workout longer to burn the same number of calories as high intensity exercise. Both high and low intensity exercises have a purpose and having a variety of workouts with different levels of intensity is a great way to challenge different energy systems in your body and train different aspects of your health and fitness.

And, remember, losing weight is also a function of what you're eating so tracking your calories and making sure you're eating less than your burning is another way to ensure you're losing fat.
Using fat as the source of fuel while exercising is not the same as burning off fat to lose weight

jimboalee

I've spotted my mistake.

The OP bonked. He wasn't trying to lose fat, he was trying to get home.

I still stand by my beliefs on taking advantage of 'burning a higher proportion of calories from fat during low-intensity exercise' when riding endurance events, ie Randonnees.

PK99

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
I've spotted my mistake.

The OP bonked. He wasn't trying to lose fat, he was trying to get home.

I still stand by my beliefs on taking advantage of 'burning a higher proportion of calories from fat during low-intensity exercise' when riding endurance events, ie Randonnees.

On that you are correct.

Low intensity training conditions the body to burn fat efficiently, but it neither burns the most fat nor is it the way to lose weight.

"Fat burning Zone" is a very misleading term

beancounter

PK99 said:
On that you are correct.

Low intensity training conditions the body to burn fat efficiently, but it neither burns the most fat nor is it the way to lose weight.

"Fat burning Zone" is a very misleading term

I've lost a stone and a half of fat by low intensity training, but am now "stuck".

How should I change my training to lose a further stone?

bc

PK99

Legendary Member
beancounter said:
I've lost a stone and a half of fat by low intensity training, but am now "stuck".

How should I change my training to lose a further stone?

bc

The one way that works : Eat less - move more, in whatever proportions suit you!

If you are stuck, then your calories in equal calories out and you need to change one or both!

Top Bottom