No Energy Last Night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hollyhillian

Out for a ride last night with the normal group .Same 30 mile route we have done before with a few hills and downhills as is typical of Dorset.
Anyhow ,whereas before I've been fine and managed to stay with the group fine ,last night I had nothing and was miles behind .
Come the end I could hardly push my legs to get up the hills and by the time I got home I felt like I was going to have to have a little lie down and a cry.:surrender:I've felt tired before and had aching legs and ar$£ but this was somthing else.

I guess I had done too much this week as this was the third reasonably long ride (for me) that I had done in 6 days .

Anyone else felt that bad after a "normal" run and what do you think caused it?

PK99

Legendary Member
Hollyhillian said:

Yes - a mixture of too many miles in the legs and not having enough fuel on board with the latter being the more significant.

Ben M

Loads and loads of things can have an effect on performance. How your week's been, how you slept, stress, what you ate.

If you even have a hint of a cold or other illness, forget about performing anywhere near as well as usual.

02GF74

Über Member
Hollyhillian said:
I guess I had done too much this week as this was the third reasonably long ride (for me) that I had done in 6 days .

there is your answer - it is not a normal run as it sounds you've done more miles than normal.

overdoing it. give it a rest, eats loads of pies and you'll bounce back.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I went out to do an hour or two one evening last week.Felt all wrong,no energy no rythym to the pedalling generally no fun. Said sod it after a couple of miles and came home.Bit depressed about it at the time but next day had a really enjoyable ride.

I guess we all have good and bad days. I had a lot to drink one night so went out early next morning to sweat the alcohol out,expected to suffer but had a really enjoyable and fast ride,no rhyme or reason to it sometimes.

Hollyhillian said:

I've not been out for a long distance for a good few weeks, and I think it's because work has been a bit of a sod.... 4 drivers out of 18 sick/hols, and at least 2 lorries out of 18 off road too...this has meant extra loads for everyone else, and it's taken it's toll...

At least you managed to get out! :bravo:

PK99

Legendary Member
Banjo said:
I guess we all have good and bad days. I had a lot to drink one night so went out early next morning to sweat the alcohol out,expected to suffer but had a really enjoyable and fast ride,no rhyme or reason to it sometimes.

Cycling is THE best hangover cure - as I'm about to prove on today's sportive!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Said it before and I'll say it again: most athletes are permanently over-tired. Stop cycling for a week and just rest, eat and drink and you'll be amazed at how strong you feel when you re-start.

postman

Legendary Member
Rest and it will come back.I was off the bike during Nov,Dec and Jan.Damaged my knee helping some people move furniture.Took weeks to get back to feeling' right 'when out.

So don't push too hard next time you go out.Slow and build up again.

OP
OP
H

Hollyhillian

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have taken it easy since and been eating well and feel a lot better.

A little warning to myself though to recognise that "I" can't do three 30milers in a week and eat only salad to lose weight at the same time.

Cheers for the support.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hollyhillian said:
A little warning to myself though to recognise that "I" can't do three 30milers in a week and eat only salad to lose weight at the same time.

If you take care to eat the fuel you need to ride, there is no reason why you cannot eat to lose weight the rest of the time - plus if you eat the right stuff on the bike you can ride AND you are less likely to pig out when you get in.

I've found sports drinks really do work and keep the energy level topped up even during long, tough sportives and with snack at the food stops the raging hunger that used to hit me post ride is no longer there. On Sunday, I did a 50 miler - breakfast, two bottles of SIS plus two of water on the ride, banana at the first food stop, a piece of cake at the second, cheese butty at the finish and then did not feel hungry till the evening.

jimboalee

Fuelling for your ride is not as simple as eating the required calories based on an on-line calculator or list.

The way to lose fat by riding a bike is to stay in the 'Fat burning' heartrate zone.

A very rough guide is 100 % fat burn at 50% HR and 100 % glycogen burn at 100 % HR.

One can pootle round a 100km AUK at average 7 mph and need to eat next to bugger all, or bomb round at max organisers limit - sometimes 30 kmh, and need to feed like a raceboy.

Both scenarios surprisingly have very similar kCals/mile requirements.
The difference is kCals/minute. Low kCals/min can be accomodated by fat mobilisation but high kCals/min can't.

PK99

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
The way to lose fat by riding a bike is to stay in the 'Fat burning' heartrate zone.

t.

that is a (common) misunderstanding of "fat burning zone"

Have a look at (for example)

http://www.runningforfitness.org/faq/weightloss.php
This idea is based on a misunderstanding of the science. It is true that when you exercise at a lower intensity, your body is able to draw more of the energy directly from fat. But it is not correct to conclude that exercising at this lower intensity will result in your having lower overall body fat.

or http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/l/aa022601a.htm
which gives sample calculations

Top Bottom