No Hill rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As much as I enjoy the exertion and satisfaction of doing climbs, somedays it'd be nice to just go out for a gentle 'amble' without too much effort..........I suppose I could move to the Fens or Holland :smile:

Are there any apps or online mapping sites that will select 'the easy route' to minimise the ascents?

Bob

Are there any apps or online mapping sites that will select 'the easy route' to minimise the ascents?

have you only just moved to the area..? Presumably you're not familiar with the roads around where you live..?

BSRU

A Human Being
Depends how fit you are, ascents that were difficult in the past are easy nowadays.
I tend to use ridewithgps.com to map new routes, it is accurate enough, also strava can be useful for showing where the local climbs are.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't know of a site that does that, but keeping close to rivers is usually a good bet for the most gentle inclines. Unless it goes through gorges, of course....

How about a nice canal?

Assuming your not on a roadie, you could cycle some of the grand union canal - get someone to drop you off at it at one point and them to pick you up later?

trampyjoe

Around Kettering (well, Northampton) the Nene way is pretty flat. Brampton Valley way too, if you dont mind the gravel path and dark, damp tunnels. Pitsford Water is a nice 7 mile flatish route.
Failing that try http://www.cyclestreets.net/ for route planning, it has an 'easy' option but I don't know if that means hills as well as traffic levels.

ETA - Or you could pop over to Peterborough on the edge of the fens!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's not really that hilly round Kettering, is it? I just had a look on my Memory Map software and heading east, the maximum elevations seemed to be about 100 m.

One of my sisters lives in Northamptonshire and I found the cycling in that area to be more pleasantly undulating than hilly. In fact, I was happy riding my singlespeed bike round there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As much as I enjoy the exertion and satisfaction of doing climbs, somedays it'd be nice to just go out for a gentle 'amble' without too much effort..........I suppose I could move to the Fens or Holland :smile:

Bob

Come move up here on the Pennine foothills. You have real hills here !

Top Bottom