No more commuting :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I face a 52miles cycle each way (well 48miles if I want to cycle on the A1:stop:). I've only did the full commute once and over winter come hail or shine I'd rotate between a long hilly route and short flat route. The short flat route was my get out clause on Icy days or if I was held up. That was when I was training for the 168miles (14,000ft) Liege - Bastogne - Liege. However, LBL is done and my director came back from the directors meeting saying, somebody has been making noises about my bikes not being fit for the office. There's no way I'm leaving expensive bikes in the unsecured wheel benders round the other side of the building and I've no room for a cheap carrera or btwin or that would be my choice, so I've kind of (sorry if thats the wrong grammar) lost motivation and I've only 8days in the last three weeks and haven't commuted at all this week :sad:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I had a two month break between jobs a few years ago and really missed it. Coudn't be arsed going for a social ride. Cycling without having to was not enjoyable.

Recently, I've been poorly and still cycling to work and wished I wasn't. Too much of a good thing can be bad for you too.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm moving out of London to Hertfordshire next week so having to stop cycling in after commuting by bike for 5 years now.
Have any of you guys in the past had to stop and if so how easy is it keep up the cycling when you no longer have to. I'm thinking of entering a 60m sportive in July that will give me the excuse to keep at it for a bit but I'll definitely miss cycling every day!
Its going to take some proper commitment and action to maintain the miles, the stamina and the enjoyment...sorry but I am speaking from experience.

I suspect a club is your best way to stay on top of the game and may even advance your riding.

I moved jobs and now have a 20 mile commute as opposed 40. I now struggle on hills where I didn't used to and also find big miles intimidating, where I would happily consider a 100 miler as a good ride, I now consider 50 as a "big one". My ride buddy has racked up 3000 mikes this year already and I am still under 1k...it sucks.

I am amazed at how much impact the commute had, even at 2-3 days a week.

As a side motivator, a new bike or bike component may help to get you out in the evenings more, I am just buying some flashy carbon wheels...for absolutely no reason other than they will make me want to ride more in the evenings.

Never take the ability to commute by cycle for granted, we are a lucky few.

Oh Ps...if not already on it, try Strava as a motivator, it works wonders for me to compete with myself and my mates

Top Bottom