No More Hero Anymore...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Sad to hear, never a real fan at their height, although some of their tracks are less objectionable as they/I age, always liked Golden Brown

Someone on FB linked their version of Walk On By , which reminded me I have the album and the free off white single that came with it on which that track was released. I just dug it out. I don’t think I’ve played it in forty years. View attachment 519984
Edit: on second thoughts the single was white I think it has discoloured over the last 42 years.

Years ago, we had a spare room in student digs and a guy turned up one day on a road bike that he left badly locked outside; he stayed one night and was never seen again. The only thing in his room was a copy of the Stranglers' Walk on By. If you're out there, Chirs, I've still got it in safekeeping for you.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Went to see them in the summer of either 1977 or 1978, got a lift from Leeds to Sheffield down the M1 in a clapped-out Reliant three-wheeler that couldn't go faster than 40mph. Their support was a useless local techno band just starting-out- played the whole gig in poncy up-lit glass tubes- called themselves The Human League.

albal

Guru
RIP Dave. Saw them at Rebellion 2019. Only jj left from original line up.

Ha just spotted this from above : 5 minutes ago

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sad news. Sounds of my youth.

A week or so ago we also lost another musician of a similar era. Matthew Seligman, bassist with the Soft Boys died from complications resulting from Covid. Matthew also played with Thomas Dolby, The Thompson Twins and Bowie.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A mysterious time warp enabled the late Dave Brubeck Quartet to play their Jazz version of Golden Brown as a tribute to Dave Greenfield...

:notworthy:

Definitely parallels. I thought the same when Golden Brown came out.

But at the the risk of being music theory about it all Take Five is in 5/4 time throughout. but Golden Brown is mostly in conventional 3/4 but with the occasional bar of 4/4 slipped in. When I first heard it took me a while to suss out as it sounded rhythmically strange yet was in standard 3/4 - oh hang on, that's what's going on.

I'd missed the original post. We saw them in Bristol not so long ago. A good night, though sadly the sound system at the venue rather lost the amazing keyboard playing which gives them their unique sound. I never saw them back in the day

As an aside before going in we asked one of the door staff when they'd be coming on, envisaging going to the pub till the appointed time. He replied "Doctor Feelgood are starting at such and such then the Stranglers at whatever". Hang on; the support band are Doctor Feelgood ! We'd have gone to see them in their own right, yet they weren't even on the poster as I recall

Anyhow a great band, with arguably the keyboard player key to their unique sound. Sad news

Last edited:
Top Bottom