No more IM for a few years me thinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Hat

I have only done 2, both Bolton, but even so im now a bit disinterested in it all now. There is a lot of hype around the IM brand but ive come to realise that there is so much more out there other than IM. Anybody else fell out of love with IM ?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
My husband did one last year and is doing another next year - the demands on family life mean we definitely needed a year 'off'. We were both really impressed with IM - the organization, the event, all top notch. But yes there are plenty of Iron Distance courses much cheaper and just as well put-together out there. In addition, it's such an enormous strain - the training burden, the family sacrifices, the cost etc and so much hinges on one day. I've been trying to persuade him to do more Olympic distance/Half IM races as they seem so much more accessible. Jesse Thomas wrote an excellent article about it here! http://triathlete-europe.competitor...-thomas-blog-im-not-an-ironman-and-thats-okay

OP
OP
The Hat

The Hat

I hear ya Cathryn. Its a big time committment indeed. Looking forward to enjoying my training from now on, however ive found running ultra marathons is my thang now !

Tin Pot

Guru
Gearing up for my first next year.

I'm not that interested in the races, I'm interested in the endurance and enjoy the training. I don't really enjoy events, so I can see why you might not retain interest.

I have heard that the branded events are relatively bland courses, I'm weighing up whether to do a brand or other event at the moment.

Ian A

Über Member
I've done Wales once which was last year. Great event and I was rubbish but I get the point about hype around the brand. I'd like to do Wales again in future or perhaps Lanzarote but only if I get better. The interest in those two are about the course and not the brand. There are plenty of other excellent races at a fraction of the price. I've kept the interest up exploring some lower key but brilliant races. Been to Wensleydale tri and a day in the lakes this year with Wasdale half in September. I'd like to travel to some but time away from the family is a problem. Alpe D'Huez is pretty special if you get chance to get to that one. Different to anything here unless you live in a mountain range. There are some spectacular races in Europe but I'd never make the cutoff times.

Ian A

Über Member
Alpe D'huez for me next year, looks amazing.
Enjoy :smile:.

Last edited:

Ian A

Über Member
Gearing up for my first next year.

I'm weighing up whether to do a brand or other event at the moment.

Wales has a great atmosphere and course if you want to go branded. The course is challenging but not brutal and the atmosphere in Tenby on race weekend is fantastic. The locals have really embraced this one.

Tin Pot

Guru
Wales has a great atmosphere and course if you want to go branded. The course is challenging but not brutal and the atmosphere in Tenby on race weekend is fantastic. The locals have really embraced this one.
I like Tenby, so maybe one day.

I'm in for IM70.3 Staffs and IMUK...

huwsparky

Über Member
Done the bike course for the Tenby IM a few times now and is a nice course IMO. Not too brutal (but has a few tough bits) and pretty scenic. Gonna head down this weekend to support a few friends participating. Should be on the bucket list for anyone waning to do a IM.

Top Bottom