No Number Plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
"Last week, [Shapps] proposed that cyclists be subject to the same restrictions as motorists, widely reported as meaning number plates for bicycles.

But he insists: “
We’re not going to do number plates. There is no death by dangerous cycling on our statue books. At the moment it has to be addressed through an old piece of legislation, which is actually designed for horses and carts, which is deeply unsatisfying. When I pointed that out, some people said, ‘Surely then you’ll need to know which bike is which?’ But when there’s been an incident generally you know who it was.”

He stresses he is pro-cyclist. “I’m a very keen enthusiast. I’m not a mamil [middle-aged man in Lycra], I wear my ordinary clothes, but I do like to go out."

'Lets drum up a lot of hate for the sake of publicity and pandering to a small area of the electorate', typical politician :thumbsdown: It makes me:cry:and:cursing:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It comes up occasionally. But it has been shown time and time again that it is not viable. Yet cyclist perpetuate it themselves by re posting it on every cycle site on the internet. It will come up again. Just ignore it.

Seem like a u-turn. Now claiming to be pro cyclist and a keen enthusiast of cycling. But also mentions not a lycra wearing Mamil.

Must have received backlash of his first comments.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
If anything so stupid ever did occur I would leave the country, likewise helmet law and other ridiculous unworkable laws put in to make a buck and pander to the the car driver. I agree it is just to divert focus from serious stuff.

Top Bottom