No rear bosses on my racer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I want to save as much money as I can when I start commuting to college in September so I am trying to avoid getting another bike if possible.
I have a MuddyFox Milano Carva SE but it doesnt seem to have any rear bosses for a pannier rack. These bosses are all that I would need in order for me to use my racer and then be able to fork out on a lovely new racer (my current one is 4 years old and is showing it).

Are there any pannier racks or panniers that do not require bosses? I dont really want to be paying more than £50 for a rack.

potsy

Rambler
You can get seatpost racks for light-ish loads, I have a Topeak one that's pretty good forup to 7kg :thumbsup:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Im sure ive seen some that mount onto the QR skewers and brakes too, no idea how good they are though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
P clips are basically P shaped, they are usually plastic or rubber coated and they grip round your seat stay, to which you can fit mudguards or pannier rack. You'd need 4 clips, two bottom and two top, if you have no bosses.

If your tubes are too thin, then you use a bit of old inner tube to pad the stay out under the clip.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Yes.

The clip goes around your stay and the screw goes through the eye in the rack (or mudguard).

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
P clips are basically P shaped, they are usually plastic or rubber coated and they grip round your seat stay, to which you can fit mudguards or pannier rack. You'd need 4 clips, two bottom and two top, if you have no bosses.

If your tubes are too thin, then you use a bit of old inner tube to pad the stay out under the clip.
On the below picture, could I use these holes for the bottom of the pannier rack or would they be too small (the holes for the screws)?
000_0008.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If threadded you can use those. They do indeed look like rack and mudguard mounts. What about the top end of your seat stays ? Here you may need p clips.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
If threadded you can use those. They do indeed look like rack and mudguard mounts. What about the top end of your seat stays ? Here you may need p clips.
On the top of the seat I will need them. I might do a little 'trial and error' thing just before I start commuting and see if it works. If not then I cn just order a new bike with the rest of the stuff I am getting for it.

Top Bottom