No Tour champ this year - LeMond

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I suppose it would be symbolic, but i can't think how it would benefit anyone.

I think he should stay silent on current cycling issues and bask in his yesteryear victories.

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

Steve Austin said:
I suppose it would be symbolic, but i can't think how it would benefit anyone.

I think he should stay silent on current cycling issues and bask in his yesteryear victories.

Couldn't agree more nice bloke but a redneck

ChrisKH

Guru
Stupid article in The Times this morning [La mort du Tour] which says 'the monument [ie The Tour] was crumbling after ten years of doping scandals which began in 1998 when a team doctor was arrested with EPO and amphetamines.'

I think it began long before that. Stimpson was obviously a user. Even my father in law has said that drugs were around in (top) amateur racing in Luxembourg in the 50's and he was often offered something pre-race to keep him 'in contention'.

spen666

Legendary Member
ChrisKH said:
Stupid article in The Times this morning [La mort du Tour] which says 'the monument [ie The Tour] was crumbling after ten years of doping scandals which began in 1998 when a team doctor was arrested with EPO and amphetamines.'

I think it began long before that. Stimpson was obviously a user. Even my father in law has said that drugs were around in (top) amateur racing in Luxembourg in the 50's and he was often offered something pre-race to keep him 'in contention'.

The "LA Mort du Tour" wasthe article in the French paper Liberation yesterday- not the headline given by the Times

Who is Stimpson? When did he ride the Tour?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Just realised, we didn't have a winner last year, did we? :thumbsup:

Still rumbling on who won the tour in 2006, and it will never be sorted out to anyone's satisfaction.
Last year has proved a great success with us having no winner declared :?::thumbsup:

fuzzy29

But last year, a winner was declared on the podium in Paris. It was afterwards that the scandal broke, and had it been dealt with by any other nation, it would have being sorted by now. It's only the incompetence of the American authorities and the huge sums of cash involved that has forced it to drag on for so long.

Monty Dog

I disagree with your comments - since when does a redneck come from Montana anyway? Lemond was in my view the last clean winner and has as times been forced into silence under threats from various parties, particularly those associated with a certain rider. Lemond doesn't have anything to gain - he's not selling a book, or fighting legal action - he did far more to popularise riding amongst the English-speakers that any other before him and I think many of your comments are disengeneous towards a great rider.

Keith Oates

Janner
Now who was it that did cycling and stage racing in particular such a good service by promoting the use of radios so that the riders didn't have to use their natural cycling acumen in trying to win races!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave_1

But I take the view that Lemond is someone who does not need cycling for his income and can therefore speak on it differently. I am afraid to say Alberto Contador is managed by a Director who was part of ONCE and Manolo Saiz-a total doping outfit of the 1990s that was hihglight as such by Aex Zulle when in the slammer in 1998, Bruyneel also signed Basso. Contador was with another doping outfit called Liberty. I don't believe in Contador's win and there is huge evidence. The TDF 07 has no credibility...for me Cadel Evans won the TDF

Top Bottom