No Tuck Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
So the new rule which comes on April 1st states apparently that five parts of the body must be touching the bike i.e. two hands, two feet and your rear end.

Are we to assume this is just when going downhill to stop the top tube sitting?

Otherwise you couldn't sprint or for a lot of people climb. What if you want to raise up from the saddle for a stretch?

Sharky

Guru
Reading the regulation, my interpretation is that the only parts of the body that can support a rider is the hands on bars, feet on pedals and bottom on saddle. No longer allowed is the use of forearms on the bars in a tri tuck position or sitting on the crossbar or chest resting on the bars. You can use less than 5 body parts to support the rider which means you can ride out of the saddle, ride no hands and you can take your foot out of the pedal when stopping.

The UCI don't govern them
If only some b***r did

one of them nearly got close enough to scratch my car this evening a second later and he would have scraped my wing - and probably broken a bone or two

next time someone does a close pass or starts up some temporary lights before I get to the end - I'm blaming him
funny how it is always a him

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sagan should be allowed to pop one handled wheelie over finish lines, intermediate sprints and summits provided no points are being contested at the time. It just keeps the crowd entertained.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
one of them nearly got close enough to scratch my car this evening a second later and he would have scraped my wing - and probably broken a bone or two
And yet he didn't. Excellent control, probably by both of you. Rejoice in it.
next time someone does a close pass or starts up some temporary lights before I get to the end - I'm blaming him
A member of a minority advocating collective responsibility? That does not usually end well for Them.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The wording is "The only points of support" that are allowed are hands on handlebars, feet on pedals, bum on saddle. So I'd agree with @Sharky 's interpretation.

It's worth noting that this regulation was there before, and hasn't been changed. Just the interpretation.

There's a pdf from the UCI here with more info and diagrams and info about barriers, arches, bottle discarding, vehicles giving priority to riders ...
https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/2021-uci-guide-safety-en.pdf

View attachment 580609
View attachment 580610

1.3.008 The rider shall normally assume a sitting position on the bicycle. This position requires that the only points of support are the following: the feet on the pedals, the hands on the handlebars and the seat on the saddle.

Bottom middle bears a striking resemblance to Caleb Ewan in full sprint.

I've heard talk that some riders are planning to continue using the "puppy paws" position but also covering their brakes, from the inside, in a weird convoluted way. I hope they get fined. Not because I have any knowledge of the safety or otherwise of this, but just because nobody likes a smartarse.
They appear to have banned Caleb Ewan from sprinting and gravel/cx/xc riders from using dropper posts

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Question is: does it introduce a new point of support? That's what the regulation says.

Surely a dropper post is still within 1.3.008 - bum is on saddle? (I don't know anything about them)

As for Ewan, is his chest supported by the bars?

The pictures all show points of support that are not in the permitted list: Forearms on bars, bum on top tube, chest on bars, chest on saddle.
Not really. The whole idea of a dropper post is to get the saddle out of the way so you can place more weight over the back wheel, you wouldn't be in contact with it, likely closer to chest supported on saddle so it's going to be a can of worms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom