No Wiggo for TDF, WTF!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobNewcastle

Seems like a lot of this debate comes down to Froome fans v Wiggins fans. I like both and the fact they're very different. Wiggins is a proper character, lol and I like Froome's understated manner. I just prefer the way Froome rides, the way he attacks in the mountains.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
They're very different in riding styles and so many other ways, but they have a lot of things in common, not least a difficult childhood with an absent father. It strikes me that Kath Wiggins' comment that while Brad the husband and father was a great bloke, Brad the cyclist was 'a bit of a prat' could apply to Froomy as well. It's a shame they've never got on, and seems like they never will.

thom

____
The whole Wiggins is arrogant thing is based on what?

We see, at best, snippets of these riders through press conferences, snapshots and on the television. How can anyone be completely judged on such short, pressurised appearances - viewed from what can only be described as a keyhole?

There will be other perspectives too: Wiggins the friend, Wiggins the father, Wiggins the husband, Wiggins the son etc etc etc etc.................

The above are more likely to know the person slightly better than the armchair viewer who picks up a newspaper and see pics of Wiggo on a night out and think "alcoholic", "wasted talent" or similar.

He might come across as arrogant and short with the press, in some instances, but would it be better if he wasn't honest and merely replied to questions with pre thought out answers? Wiggins, imo, is a breath of fresh air in all sport, not just cycling.

Yep, like the rest of us humans, he has his failings and moments. Much rather that than some bland PR speaking clone, which is what some seem to expect. Message, as above, we're all allowed to be ourselves, get annoyed by stupid questions, foul innuendo by people looking for an "angle" who don't believe plain hard work can deliver results, and be a "character". I can recall a lot "worse"! No names, etc.

I don't know what its like to be in a bike race with microphones stuffed up your nose but I dare say what end's up on air is genuine from Wiggo in those moments and I have a pile of sympathy with him for people wanting to read into those utterances things he doesn't mean. But if you think for one minute that a guy who is managed by Simon Fuller, who goes to the press on a slow news day, doesn't have a script down pat to paint himself in a self-serving way, a script beyond control and indeed blandness.....

From what I see, the evidence stacks up equally for the narrative of Wiggo as victim of Froome's personal distrust, as does Wiggo throwing his toys out of the pram as he ain't got the commitment to be a domestique to Froome in the tour this year. Why I think this is because the only thing to benefit from last week's media round was Wiggo's personal image itself. He ain't got many miles on the clock left and of all the people to cast aspersions on Froome's book as just another cyclist taking the opportunity to cash in on the moment, he's in no position to point the finger at a guy who's won the tour in spectacular fashion but has his first book out... but he does have a specific self interest in his public image.

I think only Brailsford really knows what is going on, only Brailsford actually makes the decisions as to who goes to the tour and you know what, none of us know now what that outcome could be. For sure, Wiggo's public utterances make it no easier for him to be selected and that was his choice.

For these reasons, I specifically consider Wiggo guilty of exhibiting pre-meditated and hence un-classy and un-genuine behaviour off the bike this time, aimed solely at controlling his public image and marketability. That is his weakness, his frailty and a reason in fact to empathise with him.

I do want him to go off and do well at the Commonwealth games and Vuelta. But right now I'm pissed off with him taking something of Froome's limelight, for Froome is the most exceptional GC talent ever to race as a British rider. Not for the first time, it would have been more classy for him to keep his mouth shut off the bike. Unfortunately people don't care. They want a Wiggo story. For that, unfortunately, we are just as unclassy ourselves.

(Note, I may or may not have been under the influence of Belgian Beer while writing this post)...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
A report says "wiggo" is back in training on the track ... this will explain his absence from the grand tours

Might be more the other way round - ie his absence from the GTs explains his return to the track.

Anyway, he's been announced as a member of the England road cycling team at the Commonwealth Games. I can't imagine they'd have picked him if they didn't know for a fact he wasn't riding the TdF, which finishes just four days before the CG TT.

Interesting @thom . I agree with some of your points. It hadn't occurred to me that he may never have intended to ride the Tour but it is possible, in which case, the thlot pickens. Orica Greenedge are certainly looking firm favourites for his services next year.

thom

____
Interesting @thom . I agree with some of your points. It hadn't occurred to me that he may never have intended to ride the Tour but it is possible, in which case, the thlot pickens. Orica Greenedge are certainly looking firm favourites for his services next year.
I just think a guy "managed by Simon Fuller" is not appearing in public on breakfast TV to be a "genuine bloke" but to manage his cash earning potential down the line. I don't begrudge that of him really but I'm very suspicious of the message.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
would Wiggins be an asset in the team time trial? Yes. Could he do for Froome what Froome did for him in 2010? He could get close. Is he more or less likely than Porte to be leading Froome up a mountain toward the end of a long day? On current form, yes. Is there a disbenefit in having two really good domestiques rather than one? Given the lack of support received by Froome last year, then obviously not. Would Wiggins be welcomed by the crowd that effectively pays Sky's wage bill? You betcha.

So the only reason why a vastly popular English rider is not riding in a Tour that starts in Yorkshire is Froome's inability to deal with Wiggins in an adult way. That's poor.

As for Wiggins not wanting to ride........all Brailsford has to do is to ask him straight up. And then we're done.

For what it's worth I reckon he might well ride the TdF, and it might just be that Froome is being managed by Brailsford.

thom

____
would Wiggins be an asset in the team time trial? Yes. Could he do for Froome what Froome did for him in 2010? He could get close. Is he more or less likely than Porte to be leading Froome up a mountain toward the end of a long day? On current form, yes. Is there a disbenefit in having two really good domestiques rather than one? Given the lack of support received by Froome last year, then obviously not. Would Wiggins be welcomed by the crowd that effectively pays Sky's wage bill? You betcha.

So the only reason why a vastly popular English rider is not riding in a Tour that starts in Yorkshire is Froome's inability to deal with Wiggins in an adult way. That's poor.

As for Wiggins not wanting to ride........all Brailsford has to do is to ask him straight up. And then we're done.

For what it's worth I reckon he might well ride the TdF, and it might just be that Froome is being managed by Brailsford.
Just to clarify, the only time trial this year is the itt on stage 20.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Just to clarify, the only time trial this year is the itt on stage 20.
I still think on current form and from watching cali and the dauphne - wiggins would be a better domestique than any of the current squad - porte, zandio, kyrienka are all struggling for form right now

Hont

Guru

Agree with some of that. By all arguments having Wiggins in the squad is more likely to achieve the desires of the team - winning the Tour and maximising publicity for their sponsors. It should be possible for two adults - one of whom has expressed no aims to win the Tour - to work together for three weeks to achieve this. I wouldn't put all of the blame on either party, however, for why this appears not to be the case.

The nightmare scenario for Sky surely has to be Froome crashing out at some point and Wiggins sat at home on the sofa. Regardless of how unlikely is a Wiggins win, he would still be Sky's best chance of a podium with Porte's form being so, apparently, below his best.

[As Thom pointed out there is no Team Time Trial in this year's tour. And 2010? I think maybe you were you referring to 2011 when Froome helped Wiggins in the Vuelta or 2012 when he helped him in the Tour.]

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's a shame Wiggins isn't going to be there, but that looks like it. Over the years it's been relatively rare for me to have a favourite rider who is actually in GC contention. Wiggins' absence has just meant a return to those days. And in some ways that's all to the better really. I'll just be barracking for my randomly chosen favourites (Kwiatkowski - is he still eligible for the white jersey this year?) and, of course, Cav!

400bhp

Guru
It's all a bit weird this.

If Wiggins wants to ride the TDF and he doesn't because of team orders then it could be argued he should have seen this coming and gone and rode for another team.

I would like to see some actual stats on crash rates from major races, but in my head there's a material risk that one of the favourites end up on the deck, perhaps more so this year with the cobbles. So, you have arguably, two of the top 5 GT riders in your squad and you only pick one to ride the TDF.

Hmmm

Rob88

Retired, demented
The Froome / Wiggins story stirs up echoes of the Seb Coe / Steve Ovett Olympics face off back in the 80's. Such a scenario is perfect for the nation's sports media. They can indulge themselves in whipping up a polarisation of fans comparing the faults and attributes of both and since they're both Brits it isn't unpatriotic, it's sporting luxury. If Wiggo does "a ride" in Switzerland the story won't just have legs it could explode on the run in to the Tour start, depending on how England does in the world cup, Andy Murray at Wimbledon and the weather (in England) itself and the absence of competing big news stories at the start of July. I am sure that the "suits" at SKY have figured that much out although they may not yet fully understand the phenomenon of "Tour Fever". As a global media corporation is seems inconceivable that they don't see the potential of this one - or do they? Would it be too cynical to think the whole story is being stage managed? Last minute reprieve from the govenor, petitions on Facebook for Wiggo etc

I can understand Wiggo's not very subtle stirring of the pot he knows his body clock is ticking and he is a man on a mission and he is media savvy enough to know how to play it. He also has his post super-hero career to think of. I can also understand the beard/tattoo thing. In the modern cycling age they all look the bloody same in their space helmets and sunglasses, Wiggo stands out in the bunch alright even without a yellow jersey. I loved the piece that David Millar did but I don't think that it will be respect that gets Wiggo to the start line, it will be a media storm. A lot of things could happen before then of course but if the whole thing does turn into a media circus and the story revolves around our two prize bulls something completely different could happen. Taking it all into account, I put 50 quid on Contador yesterday at 11/5

Last edited:

RedRider

Pulling through
I thought Wiggins was supposed to like The Small Faces

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSq5eoT1hY1XytapeKJVrrHOM28E2Kcqvq7lYQ4XrZf4niTB6g8w.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhTkCP_i4e70E4fDaGLv5rGLqOW_GG_Vi2U_gPTgejV41gSXavhg.jpg

Top Bottom