Nodding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
This forum is pedantic mental. But I am not going to give up.

No, it's not being selective "Now, I don't want to nod or smile at every bugger on two wheels" is a sensible course of action. If I don't want to nod or smile at somebody but that somebody makes eye contact and does so with me, then I happy to enter into a reciprocal arrangement. Happy now?:biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
MarkF said:
This forum is pedantic mental. But I am not going to give up.

No, it's not being selective "Now, I don't want to nod or smile at every bugger on two wheels" is a sensible course of action. If I don't want to nod or smile at somebody but that somebody makes eye contact and does so with me, then I happy to enter into a reciprocal arrangement. Happy now?:biggrin:
Only if you turn on your webcam and give us all a wave! :biggrin:

so you'll nod at the people you want to. you won't nod at people you dont want to. unless they nod first.

sounds selective to me! :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
trustysteed said:
so you'll nod at the people you want to. you won't nod at people you dont want to. unless they nod first.

sounds selective to me! :biggrin:

No need to be selective.
I always stick 2 fingers up to every road users and I always get a response...

Cab

I don't find that roadies sneer at me. Sometimes they seem upset when I tear past them, and they have this awful habit of trying to keep up. Can't they understand that I'm only usually going a couple of miles, I don't have to pace myself, I'm very likely to be able to go faster than them?

gavintc

Guru
Cab said:
I don't find that roadies sneer at me. Sometimes they seem upset when I tear past them, and they have this awful habit of trying to keep up. Can't they understand that I'm only usually going a couple of miles, I don't have to pace myself, I'm very likely to be able to go faster than them?

I was on my winter bike last night coming home and stopped next to MTB at some lights in Edinburgh. I said hi, he did not reply. He then proceeded to set off at a cracking pace to the next junction. I tried to match his speed, but could not as I had just done 15 miles of my 16 mile commute at a decent pace and my legs were a tad tired.

Cab

gavintc said:
I was on my winter bike last night coming home and stopped next to MTB at some lights in Edinburgh. I said hi, he did not reply. He then proceeded to set off at a cracking pace to the next junction. I tried to match his speed, but could not as I had just done 15 miles of my 16 mile commute at a decent pace and my legs were a tad tired.

I'm not surprised you were a bit tired if you'd done 15 miles at a good pace. No shame in someone fresher than you going off faster. Some cyclists seem to take it as a personal insult when you pass them, often seems to be roadies. Dunno why.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Cab said:
I'm not surprised you were a bit tired if you'd done 15 miles at a good pace. No shame in someone fresher than you going off faster. Some cyclists seem to take it as a personal insult when you pass them, often seems to be roadies. Dunno why.

Testosterone? And MTB's are sooo slow they can't :biggrin::biggrin:

Membrane

Cab said:
Some cyclists seem to take it as a personal insult when you pass them, often seems to be roadies. Dunno why.

Pass an MTB'er on a mountain trail with your road bike and I'd expect the MTB'er to be equally miffed :biggrin:

MTB, Road, XC, Downhill, don't we all expect to be king on our respective terrain, and don't we all look down with at least some disdain when we encounter someone with the "wrong" equipment for that terrain?

I'll admit that I shake my weary old head when I encounter someone on the road on a boing-boing full sus bike.

bonj2

Membrane said:
Pass an MTB'er on a mountain trail with your road bike and I'd expect the MTB'er to be equally miffed :biggrin:

MTB, Road, XC, Downhill, don't we all expect to be king on our respective terrain, and don't we all look down with at least some disdain when we encounter someone with the "wrong" equipment for that terrain?

I'll admit that I shake my weary old head when I encounter someone on the road on a boing-boing full sus bike.

this logic is inherently flawed. The first analogy being unrealistic as you'd be unable to go on a lot of mtb trails on a road bike, not without damaging it (or you) in the process. The second because a lot of mtbers have to ride their mtbs on the road in order to get to the off-road trails.

Membrane

bonj said:
this logic is inherently flawed. The first analogy being unrealistic as you'd be unable to go on a lot of mtb trails on a road bike, not without damaging it (or you) in the process.

The point was not to suggest that it was a likely scenario, but to illustrate that we all feel possesive about our own discipline, each with it's own rules, like appropriate equipment.

The second because a lot of mtbers have to ride their mtbs on the road in order to get to the off-road trails.

Not where I live, almost all MTB's I encounter use cars (quite a few 4x4's) to transport themselves and their bikes to their outings.

Today I got my nicest waves ever. I was going into work for a meeting, but was in a good mood 'cos I could cycle home again when it was over. It was bright and crisp and just like riding through a Hockney watercolour.

There were a couple of pensioners, deep in conversation, pedalling towards me at a regal pace. I always raise a hand, expecting to get a nod back about half the time. This time, they both turned toward me grinning, gave expansive waves and one said, 'isn't this great?' as I went by.

Just the phrase I was looking for. I carried onto work, calculating the time to retirement and hoping we still have days like this when I do.

Bigtallfatbloke

I passed a middle aged women on her shiney new roadbike today. She was clearly struggling with what was a very small incline/slope...not even a hill. She had a pink cardigan on and some jeans and a wooly hat...so i can only guess that she had either borrowed the bike or had spent all her dough on th enew bike and had nothing left for the required spandex jumpsuit. Anyway I felt like riding along with her and helping her with some tips (now I'm an expert and all;)). She was clearly in too low a gear as her legs were spinning and flapping and she was going nowhere fast...she was seriuosly out of breath and somewhat overweight (a condition I have a degree of sympathy for).

But i didnt stop and offer her any advice...I dunno why realy...I suppose i was afraid she'd see it as patronising or something...so I just said hi as I passed and she looked at me as if I were from Mars...as if I was some kind of pervert or something....probably just as well I left her to suffer then I thought.

gbb

Legendary Member
Cab said:
I'm not surprised you were a bit tired if you'd done 15 miles at a good pace. No shame in someone fresher than you going off faster. Some cyclists seem to take it as a personal insult when you pass them, often seems to be roadies. Dunno why.[/QUOTE]

Ohhhhh yes, some definately get insulted....
On the end of a 25 miler last year, i rode a fair pace (for me) up a slight hill in the last 5 miles, and overtook a couple of cyclists on the brow.
Carried on riding a couple of miles...then became aware someones on my wheel.
Carried on another mile...the guy overtook me :biggrin:
He got about 100 yards in front of me, swung round in the road and went back for his missus (poor cow, must have been really p1ssed off he just dumped her for me :biggrin: )

So, he rode hard for 3 miles just to put one over on me...

Do i look bovvered :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Sad tw@t

Top Bottom