Noisy Aksium back wheel...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
OK, following on from my spurious post suspecting my bottom bracket ( https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cannondale-bb30-bottom-bracket.196684/ ) of being noisy, I had the bike in at the LBS for investigation today.

The noise turns out to be from the back wheel; they tried to lube the spoke nipples, trued all the spokes, removed cassette and disc and lubed the splines etc, but never fixed the fault. The spokes creak and twang loudly, even holding the brake on while stationary and rocking back & fwd.

So it seems I either have to pay them £40 to pull the wheel apart and lube every spoke at both ends, buy a new wheel for £70, upgrade to something like Fulcrum 5s (if they're any better) or just learn to live with the noise.

Tbh I didn't buy an expensive bike just to live with a noisy back wheel...

What would everyone else do? It's less than a year old but I'm the 2nd owner.

andsaw

Sounds like you had the same as me, a few mentioned the skewer which has cured mine by tightening it, if you haven't tried that it maybe worth a shot, or swapping it for another one, I f that don't work could you get another wheel to borrow and try.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This seems to be a Mavic problem; both my son and I have Ksyriums and both wheels make plinking noises when we climb hills as the spokes rub against each other. I oiled my son's spokes where they cross on the drive side and he hasn't mentioned the noise since.

Top Bottom