Cannondale BB30 bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
My bottom bracket started making a horrible rattling / clanking noise today. The bike has done less than 1000 miles!

Looking at the L/H end of the BB it looks like a seal has migrated (pics attached). Or should it look like this?

Thx

Attachments

• IMAG1739.jpg
    IMAG1739.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 475
  • IMAG1741.jpg
    IMAG1741.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 449
No, it shouldn't be like that. But, BB30 is absolute rubbish. Prepare yourself for an endless exercise of replacing bearings. However, don't attempt to get better quality bearings because it isn't the quality that's the problem but the design. You will be better of converting it to Shimano 24mm cranks and BB or even better, square taper.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have BB30A, which is the same as BB30, but just a little wider which means it is harder to convert. You did well to last 1000 miles, within 200 mine were creaking.

Dealer had greased and refitted, but I have already bought the loctite ready for the next time. Cannondale themselves actually recommend loctite now. I have also tracked down some very reasonably priced FSA bearings, which I have stocked up on.

If you want to diy this, you will need, the correct bearing removal tool. A bearing installation kit for BB30 and a bearing press. You can get all that for under £20, with bearings less than a tenner.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have ridden 7000 miles on a bb30 bottom bracket, with no maintenance required, and it's still running fine. It's not all doom and gloom.

My local bike shop has had a few Cannondale bb30 bikes come back, but plenty that haven't.

It's a known problem, so it's worth the OP having a word with the dealer.

One of the bike shop's customers got a new frame under warranty, I don't know the ins and outs of that, but the shop/Cannondale may offer some assistance.

Svendo

Guru
FWIW I have a KCNC BB30 24mm converter in my PF30 (Variation of bb30 with added nylon cups) Cannondale so have the cups loctited in, then the adapter (this bit also has the bearings) which screws to itself in the middle, so a bit of self centring and parallelism for the bearings. The adapter then has top hat nylon seal things, and as there were some spacing issues with the supplied 2mm spacer i have a 1mm spacer which was laser cut to order from an ebay supplier. With lubrication liberally applied by the LBS (needs bearing press to fit the cups and two hollow tech 2 tools to install the adapter), I've had some minor creaking but it's settled down and is now quiet. Now on a few thousand miles including some commuting when the cheap bike broke.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Thanks all! Not sure what I'm going to do yet, it's a s/h bike so doubt the dealer will have anything to do with it.

A

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Thanks all.

I had a look yesterday and it seems that the LH bearing is moving with the crank. I'm guessing I need to pull it apart and locktite the bearing in, which is what the dealer would do anyway.

As I've never had a modern bike before (only square taper BBs), what kind of extractor do I need?

A

Milkfloat

An Peanut
OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Thanks. As long as I can find a cross section picture it's well within my capabilities.

Having said that, I might be able to get Cannondale to do it for nothing as it's still in warranty...

Top Bottom