Noisy Cf bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I was out for a ride this morning when at one point a chap on a cf bike with cf wheels rode past me, the thing is I heard his bike long before he came past, are carbon bikes normally that noisy. The road noise seemed to transmit through the entire frame of the bike.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's the wheels rather then the bike (frame)

A lot of wheels, which appear to be deep sectioned, actually only have a shroud on the rims. These can be a bit on the noisy side. My CF bike does buzz and rattle on rough surfaces, but most of the noise / rattles, are eminating from the internal cable routers.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Wheels and/or unsheathed internal cabling(an issue I have currently, awaiting ptfe sleeving)

Carbon kit is generally pleasant to ride when all you can hear is the resonance and no ticks/knocks/drivetrain noise.

boydj

Legendary Member
My experience of marshalling a time trial is that carbon wheels are almost universally very noisy.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Some Hope freehubs should be supplied with ear defenders.

A guy in our club has an expensive Colnago with super expensive wheels, you can hear him coming half a mile away.

ozboz

Guru
Interesting, I went to a velodrome a few weeks ago , I thought the carbon bikes were making a fair bit of noise by comparison to the rest , but put it down to my ear lugs being out of whack !

Top Bottom