noisy PC fan and dirty heatsink...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
How do I clean a heatsink?

My PC fan goes into noisy overdrive if I have more that one internet window open. :blush:

I took off the side panel and gave the fans a clean. Then I removed the processor cooling fan and couldnt believe how much dirt there was between the fins of the heatsink (see photo).

Is it OK to remove this dirt with a vacuum cleaner?
Can the heatsink be removed to clean it better? If so, is the heatsink normally attached to the processor with conductive grease?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

IMG-20130203-00297.jpg

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Yes use a vacuum :smile: IMO I'd always take it off to do it, then you don't need to worry about static zapping the CPU (but make sure you earth yourself for any work inside the case). So you'll need paste to remount it. Get some 'arctic silver' compound. It's awesome.

Reactions: Maz
Personally I'm not keen on getting too close with the hoover. I have worked on a ship were there was a very expensive anti-static hoover for the even more expensive pc based critical equipment.
At home I use an air duster (or airline and compressor if you have it) which will blast out dust between the fins and keep the hoover a few inches away to suck in the resulting dust storm. It will also spin the fan if directed at it so it needs to be held stationary. The air duster is good for the laptop too where access is a little harder.
Used to be a regular (minimum of 4 months) job on a Dell server on another of the boats I worked on. The thing had 11 fans in it.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
How do I clean a heatsink?

My PC fan goes into noisy overdrive if I have more that one internet window open. :blush:

Cleaning it might stop the fan coming on but if it does come on the noise will probably still be there. It is probably wear caused by it being on so much because of the lagging. Might need a new fan.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can service some fans with a drop of bike oil on the bearing - finish line stuff is excellent. Regularly have to hoover out the main PC.

One of my desk tops used to clog up and give the same symptoms as yours. I just took the side off to get access and hoovered up the heat sink, when I got braver I removed the four screws holding the heat sink and fan to the body to get it cleaner.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Undo the 4 screws holding the fan to the heatsink. Airduster (as previously meentioned) to blast out all the cr@p with a hoover held 3 or 4 inches away (again, as previously mentioned).DO NOT invert the Airduster or you'll end up spraying everthing with liquid propane which is a bit on the chilly side. Don't be tempted to actually hoover the heatsink - the potential for static discharge and the resulting damage could turn out rather expensive to repair (fried chips from the chip shop are great, fried chips inside the PC are not!) Replace the fan and the four retaining screws. Job done. If the fan is still noisy, simply replace with a new one.

lulubel

Über Member
For the sake of the few pounds it would cost, I'd just replace the heatsink and fan.

You could also look at replacing your case fans with ones with integrated air filters to help prevent build up of dust and muck in future.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
For the sake of the few pounds it would cost, I'd just replace the heatsink and fan.

You could also look at replacing your case fans with ones with integrated air filters to help prevent build up of dust and muck in future.
Or you can use magnetic fan filters. If you don't have a metal surface they also have a sticky surround. You can take them off, wash them under the tape and replace them.

They rock.

Top Bottom