Nomadic life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
My idea of a nomadic lifestyle would be touring Europe with Mrs Gunk, in a Porsche 911 staying in the best hotels.

We borrowed a friends motorhome for a long weekend a few years ago and it was torture.

View attachment 634484
Yes, we tried a mobile home and decided our well set up camping was better. It was just a constant compromise. As for constant travelling I found it felt futile after 8 weeks. Work, even if its voluntary, was needed.

Cerdic

How do travellers access financial services? Banks, insurance companies (etc) require a permanent fixed address.

Apparently a PO box is the way to do it. That becomes your address for all official purposes…

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I did 3 weeks in a Winnebago around Canada about 11 years back. I really loved it and it provided some super memories, but by the end of it I've never been so happy to get into a hotel room and crash into a huge soft bed. It was a really nice van, good kitchen, all mod cons, even a rudimentary shower. Every evening was spent sat in front of a camp fire somewhere, often in the wilderness, with a fridge of beer and the stars above me. Perfect! Well, for a bit anyway.

But there were downsides, the bed was cramped, it could get really cold of a night (and this was only in early October). You're very limited for what you have with you, limited as to where you can park, and there's faffs like having to shop more regularly for supplies due to a lack of storage / fridge space. Then you have worries like looking out for somewhere you can hook up for a bit, as there's loo tanks that need emptying, water tanks that need filling, gas bottles that need changing. The same amount of faffs as being in a home, just different ones.

What a luxury to check in to a Marriott in Victoria and have a big hot shower without worrying how much water was in the tank!

You see yourself as trapped (for whatever reason) and seek an escape route; a kind of 'fight or flight' reaction
That's a great way to tar a (pretty large and diverse) bunch of people!

You'll reach the end of the road - then what?
What about all the people now in their twenties for whom a permanent job and the chance to buy a home is out of reach?

I think there can be a tendancy to overreact when you're in flight mode, and go 'all in' with your solution.
Pretty broad brush you're using there. Flight mode! For crying out loud!

Travel is well known to broaden the mind and give new perspectives.

There's no need to take to the road when a reassessment of where you are and what you want might reveal a more sustainable existence, albeit one a little less radical.
There may be no "need" but there have always been people with a wanderlust.

And then there are health issues; humans are social animals and loneliness and isolation can mess with the brain. I think we all need social interaction, friends, going out and having a laugh... that sort of thing. Not every day, but regular (as determined by your personality). I think a happy nomadic existence takes an attitude that most of us probably don't have or, in truth, want.
There are many people suffering terrible loneliness who never travel outside of their own town limits.

I'm not sure a nomad existence suits when you need assistance.
After recently been bitten by a dog I had no issues receiving treatment at three different small town hospitals. (Rabies shots) Ditto after a tick bite. And there's a lady here who needed a knee replacement and received better care than at home.

I appreciate that you may not have looked into this any more than some casual viewing of YouTube videos but the majority of your content is incredibly negative and not terribly accurate.

Nomads are in "flight"? I'm sure some are but walk into any pub in any town and you'll find people "in flight".
Many are running successful businesses on the road. I'm aware of accountants and literary editors who live a nomadic existence and hold down high level jobs.

Less of the negativity and pigeon holing please.
People are perfectly entitled to choose how they live their lives without being labelled perjoratively for it.

Its nothing new really, very popular alternative lifestyle in the 1990s
1990's?
People have been wandering since we first left a cave. The world is better for it.
It's only now that there is a lot more exposure.
Also, what puzzles me is what are they going to do when they are older, say 70 +? At the moment, all the ones I watch are between 25 and 50.
As I noted above, a lot of young people have little control over their lives with impermanent work and an unknown future. Taking to the road allows some to seek new opportunities, to take a sense of control and to broaden their minds and experiences. And some just like to travel.

I only need access to a cash machine.
You'll find that card you use has an address attached to it. Lose the card and no access to the address and you'll have a world of trouble.
I did 3 weeks in a Winnebago .......... Perfect! Well, for a bit anyway.
But there were downsides
The way I see it is that heading off for 3 weeks you know it's 3 weeks. A vacation. Something different.
I'm pretty sure that the mentality would be different if heading off for three years or an undefined time. When the mentality is different everything is different from preparation to execution.
A city break to a city is a very different experience to living there.

It's a lifestyle in the same way that living in a city centre apartment is a lifestyle as is a remote cottage on an isolated island. Very different experiences. Some embrace the differences others don't.

Thank you for agreeing, as I was only talking about some. You extrapolated my "akin" comments to include your own situation. A nomadic existence appeals to many more people (for varied reasons) than actually set about living one.

Exactly.
Your reply has all the validity of "I saw a cyclist break a red light once, therefore all I'm going to talk about is how cyclists break red lights.

For twisting my words and insinuating my motivations I won't be replying to you anymore.

Top Bottom