Non cut-out saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jeff46

Morning all. First post as had something on my mind. For the last 10 years I have ridden a cut-out saddle of some type (toupe, selle c2, giant, romin) as figured it must be better given the reports of flow and feeling but always had some niggly aches and pains. Nothing serious by any stretch but I never seemed truly comfortable. Recently have had 3 months off the bike as it all got a bit tiresome. Lately, I have revisited as could never permanently give up on cycling and looked at saddles once again and what indeed I was getting out of the cut-out. I considered it was that that was doing me the harm so decided to put an old, cheap and used ebay job I had in the back of the garage on my bike. Two rides later I'm a non cut-out convert. Feel like I've wasted 10 years being uncomfortable and never needed the cut-out to start with.

My thoughts on the cut-out (for me at least). The cut-out part is great at relieving pressure but, as all the reviewers say, that pressure has to go somewhere right?! For me a good portion of that pressure ended up to the sides of the cut-out and digging in where a saddle shouldn't dig in. Now I have even pressure all over. Yes, I imagine I would get numbness if I sat there with no break for an hour but who does that? I've looked a diagrams of nerves and blood supply and although we don't all look like the diagrams suggest exactly. I always saw nerves going from the sit bones to the middle so to truly avoid those bits, you'd have to have a pretty large cut-out and very precise positioning of your sit bones. Time and money I don't have. I know there's arguments for, against and everything in between but this works for me and might for some others if saddles appear to be an issue and you've always avoided the traditional saddle.

The saddle in question; Fizik Antares R7. So good, I've bought another two.

1693307794139.png

Anyone else still ride a non cut-out or done the switch like me?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends on the saddle. Four of my five are non cut out. Best bike has a Selle SLR with a small cut out, but I find no difference. Large cut outs can be uncomfy. For me, its flatter saddles that allow my sit bones to make good contact without pressure. Rounded saddles are uncomfortable. Two Spoons, a fizik nissen, Selle SLR and a rebranded FSA

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I once tried a cutout - it was fine on a 30 mile ride. Went out for 80 miles and everything went numb for 2 days... never again :laugh:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I wrote earlier about tailbone pain on another thread.
The pain was quite extreme yesterday: when I needed to drive, I couldn't sit down! Had to hover above the seat and lower myself very gently/slowly/gingerly, with all the theatrical noises that a man in pain can emit!

Am fairly sure I just need to spend more time on the bike to toughen things up down below , but I did wonder if a cut-out saddle might be useful. After reading this thread, I think not!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I wrote earlier about tailbone pain on another thread.
The pain was quite extreme yesterday: when I needed to drive, I couldn't sit down! Had to hover above the seat and lower myself very gently/slowly/gingerly, with all the theatrical noises that a man in pain can emit!

Am fairly sure I just need to spend more time on the bike to toughen things up down below , but I did wonder if a cut-out saddle might be useful. After reading this thread, I think not!

like any type of saddle, some work for some people, some work for others. You just don't know what works until you try....

Jameshow

Veteran
Morning all. First post as had something on my mind. For the last 10 years I have ridden a cut-out saddle of some type (toupe, selle c2, giant, romin) as figured it must be better given the reports of flow and feeling but always had some niggly aches and pains. Nothing serious by any stretch but I never seemed truly comfortable. Recently have had 3 months off the bike as it all got a bit tiresome. Lately, I have revisited as could never permanently give up on cycling and looked at saddles once again and what indeed I was getting out of the cut-out. I considered it was that that was doing me the harm so decided to put an old, cheap and used ebay job I had in the back of the garage on my bike. Two rides later I'm a non cut-out convert. Feel like I've wasted 10 years being uncomfortable and never needed the cut-out to start with.

My thoughts on the cut-out (for me at least). The cut-out part is great at relieving pressure but, as all the reviewers say, that pressure has to go somewhere right?! For me a good portion of that pressure ended up to the sides of the cut-out and digging in where a saddle shouldn't dig in. Now I have even pressure all over. Yes, I imagine I would get numbness if I sat there with no break for an hour but who does that? I've looked a diagrams of nerves and blood supply and although we don't all look like the diagrams suggest exactly. I always saw nerves going from the sit bones to the middle so to truly avoid those bits, you'd have to have a pretty large cut-out and very precise positioning of your sit bones. Time and money I don't have. I know there's arguments for, against and everything in between but this works for me and might for some others if saddles appear to be an issue and you've always avoided the traditional saddle.

The saddle in question; Fizik Antares R7. So good, I've bought another two.

View attachment 704384

Anyone else still ride a non cut-out or done the switch like me?

I've tried fizik not for me.

I have a flite on my best bike ok for putting the hammer down as you reduce your pressure on the saddle.

Turbo / rolls on my general purpose bikes.

Brooks on the touring bike. Nothing gives you the variable comfort of a good soft brooks!

All non cut out I'm with you on the theory!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Time for a recumbent and be done with these issues

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Never had the need for a cut out , if i felt pressure in that area it was down to the saddle being a smidge to high .
In the last 5 years i have graduated form narrow flat saddles to a standard width shaped one.
I rode fabric scoop saddles for a few years but now i have settled on charge spoon .

Big John

Guru
I've got an assortment of those with cut outs and those without. I don't think I've had any problems with either. I must have an easily pleased rear end. My favourite though is a San Marco Rolls (no cut out).

Top Bottom