(Non-Cycling) university research

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everybody.

Although I have worked in mechanical maintenance for over 14 years in the bowling industry. I started a degree in mechanical design engineering 5 years ago.

I am now completing a design project in which I have to solve a problem. The selected problem is a technical issue within my industry. But I need to do research on how customers are affected.

If you have ever been bowling before, I would greatly appreciate if you could spare a few minutes to complete the following short survey.

https://goo.gl/forms/IbtglpfvuRW5kLzz2

Many thanks, and apologies for posting this as I am aware of how many do get posted :sad:

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Done, good luck!

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
And there was me thinking the janitor just kicked the machine to make it work if it got stuck. Who knew there was a bowling industry?
As much as I hate the over simplification in stuff like this. It does provide a good oversight over what happens.

View: https://youtu.be/tsSMKRuJec8

One recorded in the centre that I run while I was chasing a fault.

View: https://youtu.be/eix0xIbXC0I

It used to be an industry that I was very passionate about, but the economic trends have pretty much destroyed the job beyond recognition over the past few years.

We have turned into more handymen, serious skills gaps as it's a niche job, and low wages apart from in a select few high end venues which I'm lucky to be in.

So I started chasing my other passion. And that's designing mechanical things :smile:

alicat

Legendary Member
Done, I love tenpin bowling.

if you could spare a few minutes
Very disappointed with CC that this thread didn't quickly degenerate into a pun-run which happens every time someone mentions fish. But I guess it's hard to strike the right tone, without it ending up in the gutter.

(I didn't fill out your survey as I decided that my last bowling game was a little to much more than "more than 12 months" ago to be useful to you. Some time in the 1980s, I'd estimate.)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I appreciate you are a mechanical engineer, but I think the near future (if it is not here already) is on the software side. Things like mobile app based scoring, setup, statistics etc and a greater reliance on electronics for ball tracking, virtual action replays. I think there could be money to be made in the Strava/Zwift of bowling with virtual leagues and competitions as bowlers around the world compete with each other.

Maybe it has all been done, but certainly not st my local 'tenpin'.

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
I appreciate you are a mechanical engineer, but I think the near future (if it is not here already) is on the software side. Things like mobile app based scoring, setup, statistics etc and a greater reliance on electronics for ball tracking, virtual action replays. I think there could be money to be made in the Strava/Zwift of bowling with virtual leagues and competitions as bowlers around the world compete with each other.

Maybe it has all been done, but certainly not st my local 'tenpin'.

I agree, I am waiting for the machines to be replaced with holographic bowling pins.

Top Bottom