Non-hooked rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hardrock93

Guru
A few months ago, I bought an old Raleigh Routier from the local bike recycling project. It came fitted with cheap-as-chips Chinese tyres, which were ok until the tread wore and punctures became all too frequent.

I bought some better protection in the shape of Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres (700x25c, wired). The problem is that the (non-original?) Weinmann 700c 17x622 rims are non-hooked types, with perfectly flat, vertical inner rim walls and the Duranos will not stay put on them. Even following Schwalbe's advice to inflate to no more than 5 bar results in them creeping over the rim edge. (I've thoroughly cleaned both rim and tyres to get rid of any release agent, to no avail).

Long story short - has anyone found a modern tyre, with a degree of puncture protection, which will sit well on this type of rim?

midlife

Guru
How about buying some cheap modern wheels that you can put your Durano's on? Bankruptbikeparts often have pairs of wheels cheap. Then sell the Weinmann wheels :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
Hardrock93

Hardrock93

Guru
Thanks for the replies. Yes, Shaun, buying some cheap new wheels would be the best option. I haven't gone down this route so far because, firstly the bike itself was cheap and I don't want to spend too much money on it - it's far from a classic model. Secondly, the old Weinmanns are painted black and match the frame. They also have rather fetching gold anodised hubs, which in turn match the gold chainset, so I'm loath to lose the bling factor!

Must admit I hadn't considered tubeless. Food for thought.

dddd

Regular
Hi, this is Dave, I'm new here to CycleChat forums.

Weinmann rims are notorious for having inconsistent Bead Seating Diameter, such that there can be slack in the tire bead allowing the edge of the tire to creep over the edge of the rim.

Brands like Araya sold millions of straight-walled alloy and steel rims in the 70's that bike companies fitted with 90 and 100psi tires with no problems.

As far as tires, I would say there is a lot less difference in the tire's own bead seating diameters, though Continental wire-bead tires often seem to fit more tightly, sometimes too tightly for certain rims. Might be the best choice for these rims.

If a rim tape can be added which will add some diameter (even a single layer is worth 10-15psi) to the inside "floor" of the rim (at the inside corners, not the central channel), then that is one way to fix this, as long as the tape will stay put and NOT pull itself away from the rim inside corners at the sidewalls as it most often does when the pressurized tube pushes the tape more fully into the spoke channel. Different rims have VERY different inside shapes, so one is on their own in determining if some style of tape will do this reliably.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hardrock93

Hardrock93

Guru
Hi, this is Dave, I'm new here to CycleChat forums.

Weinmann rims are notorious for having inconsistent Bead Seating Diameter, such that there can be slack in the tire bead allowing the edge of the tire to creep over the edge of the rim.

Brands like Araya sold millions of straight-walled alloy and steel rims in the 70's that bike companies fitted with 90 and 100psi tires with no problems.

As far as tires, I would say there is a lot less difference in the tire's own bead seating diameters, though Continental wire-bead tires often seem to fit more tightly, sometimes too tightly for certain rims. Might be the best choice for these rims.

If a rim tape can be added which will add some diameter (even a single layer is worth 10-15psi) to the inside "floor" of the rim (at the inside corners, not the central channel), then that is one way to fix this, as long as the tape will stay put and pull itself away from the rim sidewall as it often does when the pressurized tube pushes the tape into the spoke channel. Different rims have vERY different inside shapes, so one is on their own in determining if tape will do this reliably.
Hi Dave. Firstly, welcome to the forum and secondly, thanks for your input. Interesting point re. Weinmann BSD inconsistency. Perhaps partly the reason why I'm having more problems with the Durano on the rear wheel compared to the front. I put this down to the rear tyre being the more 'stressed' of the two, but perhaps there's more to it than this. Also good to know that Contis might fit more tightly. Ironically, I had intended to fit a Gatorskin, but rejected it on the grounds that it specifically stated on the sidewall that it wasn't suitable for straight-walled rims, while Schwalbe seemed to endorse the Durano for straigh-walls, at lower pressures.

I've refitted the old Cheng Shin tyre and pumped it up to 80psi, with no problems..

Top Bottom