non-navigation GPS's for training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I have a normal speed/cadence trip computer right now but as I do an awful lot of impromptued route changing on my commutes & on 'training' rides, due to this often I forget exactly what route I took. Is it actually useful to have exactly what route you took, elevation data, etc?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The Garmin Edge range is very good for that sort of thing!

Will1985

Über Member
For training purposes, the Edge series would suit your needs. Forget the fact that the 605 and 705 have mapping - it is an extra function which too many people see as a prime selling point.
You don't sound too interested in pre-loaded routes (and indeed for training purposes many cyclists know where they are going) so you could look at the base packages. The new Edge 500 might be worth a look - a lot cheaper than the 705, and having a tracking function similar to the 205/305 (just a line). The mounting system has improved to a twistlock as well so you shouldn't need to worry about buying replacement mounts for all the ones you break like I have.
With all these devices you can upload your route to a mapping program to find out where you went.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
I'm comparing the Garmin Edge 500 to the VDO Z2. Once I've got everything I want/need the VDO is cheaper, that said the VDO doesn't do as much as the Garmin. I don't mind paying the extra if I get something for it but I duno if the extras the Garmin will be useful.

Bill Gates

GrasB said:
I have a normal speed/cadence trip computer right now but as I do an awful lot of impromptued route changing on my commutes & on 'training' rides, due to this often I forget exactly what route I took. Is it actually useful to have exactly what route you took, elevation data, etc?

Only if you're an anorak. :sad:

Can't see what use it would be for training purposes. Much like average speed or other forms of measurement (e.g. power). Can knowing it, will knowing it, change anything about your training programme now or next week, next month? If the answer is no then it's of academic use only.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Heads up. Today I am using many parentheses. Disclaimer aside:

The only time I've used my GPS for training rides (other than simply getting lost and trying (very badly) to find a way home) is to add a 'marker' on hazards.

One jab of the button (on an entry level Etrex) puts a waypoint in the map for all eternity, and (if you have proximity alarms set up) will sound a loud beep whenever you move within 100 yards of the same location in the future.

Very useful for marking slippery corners, bad surfaces, cattle grids, concealed entrances, or (in my case) a dead badger that seemed to stay put for about 3 months.

In happier times, I suppose I could use it for nice cafes, lovely views, particularly pretty trees, etc. :sad:

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
Bill Gates said:
Can't see what use it would be for training purposes. Much like average speed or other forms of measurement (e.g. power). Can knowing it, will knowing it, change anything about your training programme now or next week, next month? If the answer is no then it's of academic use only.
I'm not training for road racing etc. I train only to push my self harder than I have before, a 'sporting' rider per-se. I have no idea if knowing exactly where I've gone will make me change where or how I'm riding. So to answer your question, the answer is I have no idea, hence why I posted here :becool:.

Bill Gates

GrasB said:
I'm not training for road racing etc. I train only to push my self harder than I have before, a 'sporting' rider per-se. I have no idea if knowing exactly where I've gone will make me change where or how I'm riding. So to answer your question, the answer is I have no idea, hence why I posted here :biggrin:.

I see things from purely a "what's it going to do for me fitness wise" point of view. IOW I'm a boring twit.

Anything that's going to get you out on the bike and provide a bit of interest can only be good. Don't listen to me; go for it.

jimboalee

arallsopp said:
Heads up. Today I am using many parentheses. Disclaimer aside:

The only time I've used my GPS for training rides (other than simply getting lost and trying (very badly) to find a way home) is to add a 'marker' on hazards.

One jab of the button (on an entry level Etrex) puts a waypoint in the map for all eternity, and (if you have proximity alarms set up) will sound a loud beep whenever you move within 100 yards of the same location in the future.

Very useful for marking slippery corners, bad surfaces, cattle grids, concealed entrances, or (in my case) a dead badger that seemed to stay put for about 3 months.

In happier times, I suppose I could use it for nice cafes, lovely views, particularly pretty trees, etc. :smile:

I like the 'nested parentheses'. I will ( no doubt ( sometime ) in the near future) be using them.

jimboalee

Garz said:
They come in handy for your accurate calculations too jimbo!

I've got an Edge 605.

It's statistician's Heaven.

It's also physicist's heaven. It can be used to prove matter exist's in two places at the same time.

trio25

Über Member
I have a forerunner 305 which would meet your needs but if only for the bike you might as well get the edge. I am a geek and love downloading where I have been etc

If you don't want heart rate then a 205 is fine and cheaper!

Garz

Squat Member
jimboalee said:
I've got an Edge 605.

It's statistician's Heaven.

It's also physicist's heaven. It can be used to prove matter exist's in two places at the same time.

No jim, I was reffering to the parenthesis! :biggrin:

jimboalee

Like these...

Power Pf = Slope x weight x (Velocity / 375)

Prr = Crr x (W/375) x V

Cd x A = ( (Pf-Prr) x 391 x 375 ) / V^3

Pf = ( Crr x (W/375) x V ) + ( CdA x (V^2/391) * (V/375) )

Windchill index = 91.4-(0.474677-(0.020425*Speed mph)+(0.303107*SQRT(Speed mph)))*(91.4-Temp F)

But not like this...

Aero drag = 0.5 x Q x Cd x A x v^2

Top Bottom