Non-OEM chainring - anything I need to know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Schwinnsta

Thanks again - I though that might be the case that you had to file it smooth.

Not sure I want to risk taking any material off.

I'll see how I get on after taking some links out.
Buy a used chainring from a bike shop. Figure out the size you need. There are online calculators that relate tooth count to diameter. Don't worry too much about ruining it. You need to take the teeth off first. You can put the ring in a vise and snap off teeth one at a time, or cut them off with a bandsaw if you have access to one. You will need to file or sand it round. You can eye the bevel and get it close enough. When you lay it on the attachment points, you will be able to make modifications. It does not need to be perfect. It will all tighten down and look good.

12boy

Guru
I have a 38 and a 58 tooth Vuelta chainrings on a Sugino 110 BDC crankset set up for 3 chainrings but it won't fold with a 28 tooth on the innermost spot. I don't have a chainguard on any of my bikes and use a steel clip if my pants are a problem.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I have a 38 and a 58 tooth Vuelta chainrings on a Sugino 110 BDC crankset set up for 3 chainrings but it won't fold with a 28 tooth on the innermost spot. I don't have a chainguard on any of my bikes and use a steel clip if my pants are a problem.

I'm not against the idea of running a 'naked' chainring. I have three other bikes currently and none of those has a chainring guard.

It's just that since I've swapped to this new chainring, I've had at least 5 occasions where it's shipped the chain off to the outside. I suspect just removing a couple of links will cure it, but it would be good to have a back up plan.

Top Bottom