Non-OEM chainring - anything I need to know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Well, looks like I spoke too soon about the chainguard...

Because of the way it would attach, it would need to go on the outside of the spider - which isn't flat to receive it.

Anyone got around this? I don't actually mind it not being there, I don't think I've ever ridden my Brompton with jeans on, so not too worried about having the guard, but wondered if anyone had solved this.

Even with longer chainring bolts and washers, I don't think there'd be enough space to fit it inside the spider as I think it would push the chainring too far inboard.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think the spa chainguard needs double crankset and then sits as the outer "ring" so "not with your brompton crankset" is the answer. you'd need a new crankset and potentially a longer BB to get the chain-line right.

u_i

Über Member
Anyone got around this? I don't actually mind it not being there, I don't think I've ever ridden my Brompton with jeans on, but wondered if anyone had solved this.

Even with longer chainring bolts and washers, I don't think there'd be enough space to fit it inside the spider as I think it would push the chainring too far inboard.
If the guard works as an extra alu ring and there is no space for it, you may be able to cut or trim it, to accommodate the crank. I may be able to take a photo of such an arrangement later in the day, if this is indeed the issue.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
If the guard works as an extra alu ring and there is no space for it, you may be able to cut or trim it, to accommodate the crank. I may be able to take a photo of such an arrangement later in the day, if this is indeed the issue.
It does, yes.

I already hacksawed one of the holes off so it sat behind the crank. but because the spider arms on the outside are curved and not flat (and my bolts weren't long enough) it wouldn't play together.

Schwinnsta

You can make your own from older, larger rings. I made mine from a used one from a bike shop. You can snap off the teeth or cut them off. It does take some file work, cutting and grinding. I can take a picture of mine if you are interested.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I may be able to take a photo of such an arrangement later in the day, if this is indeed the issue.

You can make your own from older, larger rings. I made mine from a used one from a bike shop. You can snap off the teeth or cut them off. It does take some file work, cutting and grinding. I can take a picture of mine if you are interested.

I wouldn't mind seeing your solutions...

I've not yet come up with a way to make it work - though in fairness, after the original attempt, I lost interest.

But I am experiencing the chain jumping off. Normally when changing down from 5th to 4th. Maybe the chain does need a couple of links removing to keep a little more tension on it.

Tenkaykev

Guru
That reminds me of when I wanted to "Bling" up my Brompton and ordered a LitePro chainring with integrated guard. I was scratching my head as the chainring bolts would just foul the frame. Then the penny dropped that the integrated guard was on the wrong side of the ring if you see what I mean. It would fit on with the guard inboard of the ring. 🤔

Schwinnsta

I wouldn't mind seeing your solutions...

I've not yet come up with a way to make it work - though in fairness, after the original attempt, I lost interest.

But I am experiencing the chain jumping off. Normally when changing down from 5th to 4th. Maybe the chain does need a couple of links removing to keep a little more tension on it.

Here is mine, but I did mine Just to cover more of the chain to save my pants leg. It was made from a used chainring. I did not have any issues with my chain coming off, either before or after.

Attachments

• 20220404_155324.jpg
    20220404_155324.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Thanks @Schwinnsta

From memory, the spider is not flat on the outside, how fiddly did you find this and what size chainring bolts did you use?

I'm definitely going to remove a couple of links. Chain came off this morning and I wasn't even peddling or changing gear. Just descending quite a steep hill. Got to the bottom and went to pedal only to find it had bounced off.

Schwinnsta

You need to file a bevel at the attachment points. I did mine several years ago, and I don't remember the bolt sizes. I made one for the Brompton and one for a touring bike. You can make these using simple hand tools. If you have the right power tools, they can save some time. But I do remember the attachment points required some filing of a back bevel. Once attached, everything is solid.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Thanks again - I though that might be the case that you had to file it smooth.

Not sure I want to risk taking any material off.

I'll see how I get on after taking some links out.

Top Bottom