Non-rusting or stainless noodles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Mrs Uncle Phil's PDQ has a very short handlebar, and this means that the brake cables, where they exit the levers, take a very tight curve on their way down the stem. This tends to make the brakes rather stiff.

We've cured this by fitting noodles at the levers - makes the cables tidier as well as much more smoothly-operating.

But the noodles we've fitted go rusty very quickly, and up on the handlebars, this is unsightly. They're right in front of her face when she's riding, and understandably, this spoils her enjoyment of the bike.

Where can we get a pair of 90-degree noodles that won't rust? Looking at other people's bikes, there are plenty of non-rusty noodles about, but every time I've bought a pair separate from the brakes, they've gone rusty.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Uncle Phil said:
Looking at other people's bikes, there are plenty of non-rusty noodles about.

why not go to bike rescue and buy some clearly old and dirty ones that haven't rusted, and just polish them up?:wacko:

02GF74

Über Member
Uncle Phil said:
Mrs Uncle Phil's PDQ has a very short handlebar, and this means that the brake cables,

isn't that rather dangerous? you need to have a certain length so you can apply leverage?

buy a longer handlebar and no more noodles.

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
02GF74 said:
isn't that rather dangerous? you need to have a certain length so you can apply leverage?

This is a recumbent bike with "praying hamster" bars (I did mention the bike was a PDQ). Leverage is no problem as the steering action is more of a tillering than a twisting.

Trust me, chaps, the handlebar design is fine, and noodles are a neat and elegant solution to the tight cable curves needed (as on many other similar recumbents). We'd just like noodles that don't rust.

Mr Pig said:
Understandably?

Call her fussy, but spending a day on the bike with two rusty bits of metal right in your eyeline might grate on even the most laissez-faire of us. She likes the bike to be clean, tidy, and not visibly corroding. Not completely unreasonable, I would argue.

Fiona N

Veteran
Let me have a look in the garage, Uncle Phil - I changed the V brakes on my mtb a while back and seem to remember just bundling all the bits and pieces into the 'spares' cupboard. I'm pretty sure the noodles were in good condition on the old brakes and I can't imagine I'm going to be requiring them myself (new brakes are Avid xx().

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Before:

DSC_0055.jpg

After:

DSC_0057.jpg

Thanks Fiona N!

(The rusty chromed stem in the background is next on the list).

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I saw that, too Landers. The chrome plating on the stem is actually peeling off, though, so I think it needs more than polishing. We'll either make a stainless steel one to replace it, or get it powder-coated black to match some of the other bits of the bike.

Fiona N

Veteran
Happy to help, Uncle Phil. I'm just glad they turned up, what with all the postal disruptions and whatnot.

Top Bottom