Non-standard Cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
bonj2 said:
well i'll tell you what "you design, i build". :biggrin::biggrin:
if you can come up with two cassettes that'll give me a 14-28 and you a 12-30 then i'll happily do the dremelling

Needs at least three cassettes and 1 extra top sprocket:

Best combi I came up with was to buy:
14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25
11-12-13-14-16-18-21-24-28
11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34
and a 12 top sprocket.

To come back to your original challenge....I reckon the best & easiest is to take the 18 out of the middle of your 14-25, and put a 28 on the back.
You can even buy a 28 on it's own here, because I've not found anywhere online doing the 11-28 at a reasonable price.
You could get a 28 out of 11-32, but what's left from that doesn't really have everything i'd need....

Anyway - if you do buy a couple of cheapish cassettes to butcher, I'm sure we can negotiate a suitable price to take some of the unused sprockets off your hands? or PM me if you want to put a joint order in somewhere like Petra or Rose or SJS that does individual sprockets but charges postage.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Pete, is it not possible to buy yhe small cog, with lockring, that you need and then work from there?

I was having a little look on SJS and they seem to have reams of rings but I'm not sure if there are incompatiblity issues? They seem to have seperate section for Uniglide and Hyperglide spares.

bonj2

porkypete said:
Needs at least three cassettes and 1 extra top sprocket:

Best combi I came up with was to buy:
14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25
11-12-13-14-16-18-21-24-28
11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34
and a 12 top sprocket.

To come back to your original challenge....I reckon the best & easiest is to take the 18 out of the middle of your 14-25, and put a 28 on the back.
You can even buy a 28 on it's own here, because I've not found anywhere online doing the 11-28 at a reasonable price.
You could get a 28 out of 11-32, but what's left from that doesn't really have everything i'd need....

Anyway - if you do buy a couple of cheapish cassettes to butcher, I'm sure we can negotiate a suitable price to take some of the unused sprockets off your hands? or PM me if you want to put a joint order in somewhere like Petra or Rose or SJS that does individual sprockets but charges postage.

hmmm, it's easier for me than for you isn't it.

sjs cycles sell them individually? aha - so they do!

I think what i might do is see how i get on with the 14-25 and if i feel i need more spinniness, I'll then know whether i feel like sacrificing even the 14. to have a 15-28.

likewise if you want me to do any butchering with my dremel i'll be more than happy to :biggrin:

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
MacB said:
Pete, is it not possible to buy yhe small cog, with lockring, that you need and then work from there?

I was having a little look on SJS and they seem to have reams of rings but I'm not sure if there are incompatiblity issues? They seem to have seperate section for Uniglide and Hyperglide spares.

You are right Al ... plenty of choice in the smallest cog. But if you go for all individual cogs the whole thing works out twice as expensive as a standard cassette, and some of the bigger cogs that are less easy to source, hence the need to butcher an existing cassette.

IIRC from Sheldon, Uniglide is history, and all the modern stuff is Hyperglide.

I see no takers for my suggestion in feedback for a "sprocket library"....

threefingerjoe

Über Member
You're original quote: "What I came up with as my ideal cassette would be 12,13,15,17,19,21,24,27,30."

Harris Cyclery offers EXACTLY this combination. It is one of Sheldon's setups. New! CS914 Century 12 99.95 addtocart_button.gif 12 13 15 17 19 21 24 27 30 k7centuryspecial.jpg

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#9

Attachments

• addtocart_button.gif
    addtocart_button.gif
    729 bytes · Views: 36
  • k7centuryspecial.jpg
    k7centuryspecial.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Thanks Joe, I spotted that too (after I came up with it indpendently)
I was hoping for something a little lower cost (maybe HG50 sort of level), and shipping from the USA to the UK on top of the purchase price is a show-stopper.

Still it just re-emphasises that the late lamented Sheldon had all the good ideas first.

bonj2

yeah but isn't the harris cyclery one about $100

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
$99.95
Don't exagerate Bonj....

I might still go down that route if I get another expenses paid trip to the US - at least that takes care of the shipping.

For now, it's some rather optimistic bidding on ebay for suitable cassettes that can be butchered.

Ivan Ardon

I have some spare cogs if anyone wants to have a go with them.

14, 16, 18, 21, 26, 30 and 32

Yours for the asking.

Top Bottom