non uniform cogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8muscle

so looking at the front chainrings and rear cassette on my db century i noticed that a lot of the cogs are not uniform. Some are significantly "taller" than others and others are shorter but wider. Some are even mishapen, kinda sawtooth like. gearcog.jpg one of the teeth in question is the one above the "e" and the one to the left of it aswell as on the next chainring up you can see the "top" of the tooth is not square.

Is this not a matter or a sign of low quality control, i do notice some "hopping" or slipping when i am out of the saddle sometimes.
any thoughts or is this normal?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They are profiled like that to aid gear shifting. Hopping or slipping will be down to either wear on the chain or cassette or poor adjustment. How many miles has your chain covered? It pays to replace it at around 1500 miles.

OP
OP
V8muscle

V8muscle

only a couple hundred miles. ive never really looked at the cassette i just happened to notice the sawtooth looking one when i was cleaning it,

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think that looks as though most cycling is done in gear 7 and 8 or whatever the top two gears are, but I'm not an expert. Any chance of another photo in the daylight?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If the cassette teeth were identical the chain wouldn't move up them. "Skipping" is more than likely to be a minor indexing issue

ps: that cassette looks rather worn

Top Bottom