Noob advice - what lock to secure the bike at night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I must say I wouldn't lock any sort of halfway decent bike up overnight, especially regularly, in the sort of area you describe, even one as fugly (sorry) as that.
Can't you keep it inside somewhere with a bit of cajoling/sexual favours or whatever?
Since the post is also about a new bike, cannot help but ask why you feel you need suspension for the usage you describe.
I fear it will be a liability - mechanical and financial - with no benefit.
And also make the bike more attractive to thieves who like "features".
Unless you have an ultra rugged commute, I think I'd be inclined to put a squeeky toy on the front rather than a suspension fork.

Absolutely. Someone on here, I think it might have been @MarkF, mentioned something about the most basic rigid fork versions of the Riversides being popular hire bikes in european tourist areas.
That to me, is a pretty good indicator that the base model Riversides are probably about the cheapest, dependable and reliable utility bike money can buy, avoiding both junk BSO's and unnecessary frills that don't contribute to functionality. Anyone hiring out stuff to the public learns pretty quickly what gives the most service for the least amount of maintenance & repair costs - otherwise they don't stay in business very long.

Anyone hiring out stuff to the public learns pretty quickly what gives the most service for the least amount of maintenance & repair costs - otherwise they don't stay in business very long.
Very true - my expedition bike and touring tent were both bought after convincing sounding recommendations from a guy who hires out both as part of his bike touring business.

MarkF

Guru
Absolutely. Someone on here, I think it might have been @MarkF, mentioned something about the most basic rigid fork versions of the Riversides being popular hire bikes in european tourist areas.
That to me, is a pretty good indicator that the base model Riversides are probably about the cheapest, dependable and reliable utility bike money can buy, avoiding both junk BSO's and unnecessary frills that don't contribute to functionality. Anyone hiring out stuff to the public learns pretty quickly what gives the most service for the least amount of maintenance & repair costs - otherwise they don't stay in business very long.

It was indeed me, after hiring them in many Spanish cities on holiday, I stopped flying out my own bike and now use them for short (week long) trips. It makes you re-evaluate touring, a cheap 6 speed basic bike does everything that I require.

Anyway, a great buy and must be bottom of the list of bikes to attract unwanted attention.

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s possible the OP isn’t able to carry a 15kg bike up 6 flights of stairs, even if folded. I certainly couldn’t!
(not that I’d ever live on the sixth floor, let alone with no lift!)

My solution to commuting in a high risk zone was to build a hack bike especially for that purpose. A hack bike generally rides much better than it looks and doesnt cost very much.
My hack was a nice old steel frame with some used bits and bobs attached. These days I would probably hit a larger car boot sale early for good deals.
Replace all QR with bolts. Fit some good commuter tyres, rack, mudguards.
Still use a serious lock at all times. A hack bike is less attractive to thieves, harder to pilfer and if it does get nicked you can use all the money you saved to hire some hitmen/buy another bike as you see fit.

OP
OP
O

okigen

Regular
Thank you so much for the advices everyone. Just to update, I collected the bike this morning. The seatpost and front wheel both can be taken off within 30 secs! So I'm gonna take your advice and take them out in the evening.

What a change from the Boris bike! I had to slow down as at times I was riding too fast.

@vickster Thanks for the links! I'm size S unfortunately. Did try to ask the store this morning if they have something cheaper avaialble but sadly not.

The level of shortage is insane. Most locks, helmets and clothes are sold out in store. They don't even have a bike stand left :wacko:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My solution to commuting in a high risk zone was to build a hack bike especially for that purpose. A hack bike generally rides much better than it looks and doesnt cost very much.
My hack was a nice old steel frame with some used bits and bobs attached.

I would not even rule out buying a base spec Riverside purely as a donor to strip mechanically and transfer all the brand new, unworn parts over to a classic lugged 531 frame, suitably dressed down with a dull looking paint job. Do it right and you could end up with a moderately lightweight bike with excellent ride qualities and a lot of service life - if you can keep hold of it.
I have such a 531 touring frame, and I also have a set of decent used mechanicals from a Sturmey 3-speed equipped 700c ladies hybrid I paid £15 for well before the virus kicked off. That could get me a low maintenance hub geared light town bike for £100 or less total outlay if I was to approach building it in my usual do it on a shoestring manner.

Top Bottom