Noob here! I want a fast flat bar bike for commuting!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What sort of route are you planning to ride?

I ask because if it is flat, for your money, you may get more "core" bike for your money if you go single speed.

I think the claud butler looks fine to commute 7 miles on, I'd ride it. But i dont know much about bikes in that price range or anyhitng about claud butler.

Guvnor

Have you looked at the boardman Hybrid Comp from halfords? its a lot of bike for the money, very light and within your budget.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_502571_langId_-1_categoryId_165534#dtab

OP
OP
M

MorgUk

The route is casual, no hills, but general inclines, straights and declines.
Did have a look at Halfords but I think I want to buy my bike from a bike shop so they can set it up for me, unless you guys recommend them?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
MorgUk said:
Did have a look at Halfords but I think I want to buy my bike from a bike shop so they can set it up for me, unless you guys recommend them?

Boardman bikes are a lot of bike for the money, but they come with the stigma of halfords, i.e. sometimes they are badly set up, but for the money saved on getting a lot of bike for your money there is nothing stopping you taking it to your local bike shop and having them set it up, they will gladly do this for some of your money :evil:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why are you guys trying to sell single speed to the OP? Does he strike you as the sort of rider who would benefit or even appreciate the finesse of single speed? He's coming from motorcycling FFS, motorcycles make you even more unfit than cars because you can park them even closer to your destination! I know; I used to be that unfit motorcyclist.

SS is for advanced riders, gears were invented to make life more pleasant for the rest of us.

Guvnor

MorgUk said:

I would definetley recommend the Boardman. I've got a Boardman Hybrid myself, and its the dogs danglies, if you get my meaning:biggrin:

You could take it to your LBS to get it setup for about £45, thats if halfords do a bad job, which, they may not!

It really is a lot of bike for the money and you wont regret buying it either.

Gixxerman

Guru
Alan Whicker said:
Have a look at the Trek FX range. Starts from about £300. I've got the 7.3FX which I love - very nippy.
I will second that. I also have a 7.3 and it is very quick for a hybrid. Very well made and they look good as well. It is a little bit harsh on uneven ground due to the aluminium frame and forks. The higher ranges have carbon forks which will give a slightly better ride.
Comes with semi-slick 700cx32 hardcase tyres, which are very p*ncture resistant. I have done over 2500miles on mine with only one p*ncture.
It is not exactly a racer with flat bars, but is a lot closer to a racer that it is a mountain bike. If you want suspension, then Trek do the 7*00 range which have suspension front forks and suspension seatpost at the trade off of slightly cheaper brakes / gears.

Brahan

Über Member
Guvnor said:
I would definetley recommend the Boardman. I've got a Boardman Hybrid myself, and its the dogs danglies, if you get my meaning:biggrin:

You could take it to your LBS to get it setup for about £45, thats if halfords do a bad job, which, they may not!

It really is a lot of bike for the money and you wont regret buying it either.

Do Halfords really do such a bad job? I'd be asking them for the £45 back if that's the case.

Any way MorgUK - After a week or two of folk on drop bars passing you, you'll soon wish you too had one. Don't bother with this flat bar sit up and beg rubbish - get yourself a racing machine. :evil:

Jmetz

this is a third vote for the 7.3 fx .. i loooove mine, but as mentioned it gets a little bumpy.. but thats part of the fun for me

Captain

I too have the Boardman Hybrid comp and I must agree with Guvnor it is the dogs danglies as far as I can tell.
I got everything I wanted out of this bike and it's an excellent commuter for heavy traffic.

On the drop bars/flat bars agrument I'll bite.
Flat seems better to me for heavy traffic/slow commuting as the slightly prouder position gives you a better view over cars as well as always having the brakes in hand. also a more upright position makes wearing a backpack less annoying on the back of your helmet.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Do Halfords really do such a bad job?

Yes and No.

All big stores have at least one fully trained mechanic who knows his stuff. Get him and you're okay.

If he's off or you go after 5pm, then you'll usually get young lads who vary between average and learning. You don't want to give a £1000 bike to a learner.

Due to my employer running our C2W scheme via Halfords, I was forced to use several of their stores. If I got hold of the mechanic, all was well. When I got his assistants, problems arose.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Why are you guys trying to sell single speed to the OP?

Because they're greedy big store sales assistants selling the bike that'll get them the biggest comission. To hell with getting the OP the right bike.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Moodyman said:
Why are you guys trying to sell single speed to the OP?

Because they're greedy big store sales assistants selling the bike that'll get them the biggest comission. To hell with getting the OP the right bike.

Is this a misunderstanding?

The post was being sarcastic at me and any others suggesting a single speed might be better for the OP (maybe you are being sarcastic too, sorry if i didnt get it). Which it might be, the more basic drivetrain will cost less, hence you can often get higher quality components or a nicer frame on a fixed or single speed bike for the same price as one with gears. If you live where its flat, then better quality componentry and less to go wrong can be a great reason to go SS.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Yes it was tongue-in-cheek Robert. But there is a serious point.

Singlespeed is definitely the answer if you're legs are seasoned and if you live in a flattish area, but I don't think the OP ticks this box.

The linkage to the big store sales assistants is from my own experience as a new cyclist last year.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I apologise, I didnt pick up on it.

Still I'd hardly consider my legs to be particularly seasoned ;) Riding fixed didnt do me any harm, Ive only been riding since Jan/Feb (well despite my daft little commute I used to do on a BMX when I was an undergrad), as long as its geared for the terrain, OP's route doesnt sound to demanding from the description, heh

Top Bottom