Noob moments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Anyone had any noob moments, had one today cycling on a flat that started to incline steadily, Thought " better shift down to my small ring" realised I was already on my small ring and had to have a look down in disbelief. That's when the crying started........thought I was much fitter :sad:

Angry Blonde

Über Member
Noob moments with spd pedals, i still get them haha, but when i first used them on the coast to coast, got my pic taken in the sea, then one minute into the ride a put a huge scratch into the side of a clio falling onto her car haha

Katherine

Guru
I often have similar noob moments, sometimes your legs are fresher and you have more energy than other times, depends on the wind too. I had the opposite shock today, I was going to change into a higher gear as I reached the top of a hill, to find I was already in top gear!

Studley

Speaking as a noob, there are no steady inclines, only hills ! :biggrin:

I seem to have many off days and my progress is deffo non-linear. Hopefully my off days will be fewer the fitter I eventually become.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I once was riding home along the cyclepath section of my commute after night shift in the dark, did a speed wobble and plowed into the undergrowth

GravityFighter

Über Member
Lots of wobbling and one major fall in the last couple of weeks.

I've never really ridden a bike at all until I started a couple of months back. Weirdly, I have the opposite problem to most: good fitness and leg strength from lots of work in the gym and spin classes, but it's technique, balance and knowing what the bike will do in certain scenarios that lets me down.

Still getting used to my gearing as well!

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
I'm bit super unfit, I run and play footy but I still find myself praying for another gear. Sometimes I think I'm in my lowest gear and the bike will shift again........I weep with happiness

ScotiaLass

Guru
I had a MTB noob moment several years back.
Tearing around some woods I decided to have a go at a ramp - it didn't look that steep...
Forgot that my momentum would slow up, didn't change gear accordingly and got almost to the top, ground to a halt, and fell sideways in slo-mo, still clutching the handlebars :laugh:

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
My noob moment this weekend was climbing for 34 mins and having to stop because my dodgy left knee seized up. The noob element being that I stopped for 9 mins, only 2 mins from the top without realising! Gutted!

13 rider

Guru
Just finished a ride had to stop halfway up steep climb only to discover I was still on the middle ring on front gears no wonder I was struggling .newbie error !!!!

sheffgirl

Its a good feeling when you do it the other way around. A few times I've thought I was on the middle ring going up a hill and thought 'this is a bit harder than normal' but still powered through thinking I was just being unfit, only to look down and realise I'm still on the biggest ring :smile:

Top Bottom