Noob moments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
I've got one. I just checked on my bike because I'm concerned a little about a rear puncture I had and repaired.

All good.

I then realise that I locked the bike... to itself and in the excitement of actually commuting, I didn't lock the bike to the rack /doh

Cringles

My noob moment this week. Locked my bike up outside a shopping center. I usually pass it thorough the helmet, saddel, rear wheel, & the pannier. It was 9AM, so hardly anyone around. But when I came back, I never actually fully connected the cable into the lock. It was only sitting there, anyone could have sneezed & it would have fell off :O

Need to start using my kryptonite U lock & cable. My cheap ''gone for 5 minutes'' lock would have easily been a ''bike gone in 60 seconds'' moment that day,

LimeBurn

Über Member
Normal spd moments when I first started but luckily not had any for a while now, I did have one moment mountain biking up a steep incline and falling off backwards wheelie style in slow motion somehow balancing for a comical amount of time before a spectacular back splat.

Steady

Über Member
Going out on a cold morning and thinking you don't need full fingered gloves or extra socks.

Cue turning back after barely a few minutes for gloves and being unable to put them on because all feeling in fingers have been lost.

crazyjoe101

I second the comment on gloves.
I've never had a traditional clipless moment, but I did fail to clip in once and hit my ankle really hard on the peddle as I put the power down. There was also the time I got my glove caught between the shifters on my right lever and then locked the front brake up as I pulled my glove free, luckily I was nearly stopped already and I only did a miniture front wheelie thing instead of a proper crash :smile:

Binz

Regular
MTB; being so happy I made the (small) jump that I lost concentration and didn't make it round the berm that follows it - launched off top of berm and did my knee in.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
A few months ago I tried a new route which took me along a tow path. Unbeknownst to me, said path turned to cobbles underneath a bridge. With neither bike nor rider suited to the old pavé I juddered and jittered along for a few metres before rolling to a halt at which point I had an SPD moment and stacked. Thankfully the only witnesses were some ducks.

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
I had an SPD fall on my first ride using them. Took them off and have gone back to MTB pedals. I know you have the extra power but I really didn't enjoy the ride wearing them which is the most important thing.

I also had a similar experience to the op when climbing a hill. I looked to drop a gear as I was struggling only to find I was already in the lowest one. I came to a halt shortly after that.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I had an SPD fall on my first ride using them. Took them off and have gone back to MTB pedals. I know you have the extra power but I really didn't enjoy the ride wearing them which is the most important thing.

That last part is oh so true. The incident I posted wasn't my first clipless calamity, nor my last, and I came *this close* to jacking them in. Basically I got inside my head and started not liking cycling. Personally I stuck with clipless, but at the end of the day it really is about enjoyment, so I completely identify with that.

Top Bottom