Noob Toob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi I'm Wankelschrauben and I'm currently rolling around on a 1950's 10 speed oval racing bicycle.

The bike is kind of crappy looking, steel construction fitted with rust and oxidisation, frame mounted lever type gear selectors and 27 inch wheels with retro "brown" wall tyres.

The plus sides of the bike are rigidity, lightweight and apparently the saddle, which is an "escaselle" which means nothing to me but it seems comfy enough.

I bought this bike for cheap recently and have since ridden it around quite a lot, it is stupendously fast when it wants to be, far to fast for the "stoppers," I can't really call them brakes as they don't really stop the bike, merely slow it down.

Anyhow, I'm hoping that I'll be able to save a good deal of cash by riding to and from work and cycling around rather than driving.

Already I'm looking at getting a better bike and would like some advice.

I'm hoping to get one under the cyle to work scheme and would like a bike that I could get up the ridiculously steep roads around the valley and park.

The shop has recommended a Specialized Tri Cross which is good as it has drop bars and a rigid frame, I'd like it to be fast though and fairly comfortable.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/tricross-2011-road-bike-ec025019?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Thanks for any help.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hello!

the braking thing reminds me of the Electra Ticino I got to ride the other day there - lovely looking bike, but utterly shocking brakes, and that is new!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome Wankleschrauben :welcome: The tri cross is quite a good bike and will put up with the rigours of commuting and a little bit of of road as well. It is really a bit of a beefed up racing bike for cyclocross.

OP
OP
W
Hi :-)

Should I just look at a full on road bike?

I'm mainly sticking to roads, cycle lanes and park paths, the extent of my "offroadness" is potholes and hard grass to get around other people down the park.

OP
OP
W
A very nice looking bike, I was reading about those on the Specialzed website, was wondering if that is what I'm after as it look's totally rude.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I got a Boardman Team Carbon from Halfords; that's a full-on road bike and I'm absolutely delighted with it... The cyclocross bikes seem to be really 'chunky;' too much so for the commute IMHO!

A mate of mine is in the process of getting a bike from Evans and if I'm honest, Evans have been a bit of a nightmare getting the bike transfered from one branch to another!

OP
OP
W
Guys, the shop man is adament that a double chainring is a better choice for me than a triple chain ring.

He claims that I will hardly ever see the benefits of the triple but will see the benefit of a double on the above Specialized Alez Sport.

He is promoting the cheaper option, however surely three chain rings is better than two?

Top Bottom