Noobie touring questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonathan M

I've been road cycling for years & MTB'ing for a long while before that, but I'm now looking at riding with more purpose - place to place, stopping at the sights along the way etc. Basically I'm thinking of doing some touring.

My winter bike is a Ribble, their winter spec one with mudguards ect, and rack eyelets. This would be what I'd want to use (£££'s coming into play here) and I've already got a rack fitted and a couple of Karrimor panniers.

What would be the essential kit needed for some "credit card" touring, can it be as basic as the obvious cycling kit, some wash kit, then some normal clothes for the evening in the pub - plus the essential spares & tools??

Also can anyone suggest any routes in the northwest of england that would be worth doing?

snorri

Legendary Member
Jonathan M said:
Also can anyone suggest any routes in the northwest of england that would be worth doing?
You have the essential kit idea sorted out already:smile:
Regarding a route, I think the joy of touring comes from going where you want to go, where you will see things that interest you, these may be architectural gems, waterfalls, steam yachts, mountain landscapes or seascapes.
It is rather difficult to suggest a route when we do not know what appeals to you.

;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Danny said:
I would recommend both the C2C and Hadrian's Cycleway - both start in Cumbria and take you across to the North East.

The Dales Cycleway would also be easily accessible.

And as Snorri says one of the joys of touring is to find your own routes.

And then there's the Reiver's Route and the Walney to Wear routes not to mention the Transpennine Trail route. There's the Lancashire Cycleway.

Have a good trawl around the Sustrans web site for suggestions the link from the Lancashire Cycleway will start you off.

Following a few pre-determined routes get's you going quickly and allows you to focus on the cycling and equipment angle. Route planning comes later in the evolutionary path of cyle touring - I still don't plan anything other than the start and finish of a tour....I like the flexibility ;)

OP
OP
J

Jonathan M

Thanks guys, the main reason for wanting NW of England suggestions is as simple as ease of access, and living in merseyside I could end up cycling a day at each end of a ride to get to & from anywhere interesting, not much use for a weekend is it? Plus I'd like to know I had somewhere to get my head down rather than going unplanned and sleeping in a shed!

Got to admit I was thinking of the C2C as something to aim for

From Mesreyside there is also the Trans-Pennine Trail"

...or simply head out along the Sustrans route (NCN 62) to Southport, then follow local roads to Preston and then NCN6 to Lancaster, Arnside and then the Cumbria Cycleway to the start of the C2C /Hadrians Wall etc as stated above.

Top Bottom