nooby noob :D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hudson1984

Über Member
Hi all, new guy here :smile:

i'm Sam, 27 year old chubby guy that's currently dropping some belt sizes by cycling...and loving it!

what I don't love is the weather! keeps stopping me going out for a long ride whih really hampers any fitness gains. I am getting some rollers at the end of the month to allow year round training - I fall into the SAD sufferers so keeping active this winter is a must! I would get a turbo but I'm after ease of use and something that will increase my balance/awarenesss/pedel stroke is better suited at this point.

What i'm really after is getting myself fit enough to start competing - I'd like to spend the remainder of 2012 increasing stamina and strength to allow me to push in 2013 and ideally start having a bash at category races. Not having any misconceptions that i'll ever be in the elite group but having a goal always makes me work harder.

Just really wanting to know the best way to go about it. I've not done any sportives or anything so next years aim is really to do as many as possible throughout the country - I love travelling and visiting new places which is why I enjoy cycling so much but with my aims in mind i'd really like to gear my training toward this type of progression.

any constructive advice welcome - any "impossible - find another hobby fatty" posts will not be greatfully recieved :tongue:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
just get out as often as you can and enjoy it

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Ditto it's only rain... Just make sure you keep enjoying what you are doing and the rest comes. Oh yeah just make sure you clean and oil up your kit after riding in the rain :smile:

JDM

Regular
Hey, Im also struggling with weight since im morbidly obese. im 17 and 256lbs. And about the bad weathers... Whenever i go out cycling its a pretty nice weather and them BOOM, it starts raining :biggrin: but i enjoy driving in the rain even if im in a t-shirt lol. its still chilly here in Estonia and we still havent got a nice summer weather. Even tho i live in a city which is considered the city of summer in Estonia :biggrin:

I started cycling 4 days ago and i have driven 60miles now. I know its nothing but i havent done any kind of excercise in months so im just warming up and hoping to ride faster and longer in the upcoming days.

Good Luck in whatever u are trying to achieve.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
G'day chaps,
speaking as a fellow tubby tum, can I advise caution in all your efforts? I think it's very important not to flog yourself too hard, but let the improvements in both weight loss and average speed come nice and gently. That way, such improvements are more likely to be sustainable in the mid to long term. Also, cycling ought to be a pleasurable form of exercise rather than yet more self flagellation! (pause for another thrashing). I've gone from a BMI of 25 and a bit to 22.5 since Christmas by adopting a more thoughtful diet and regular exercise, including my daily 7 mile round the block ride. As it happens, I've hit a plateau at the moment, but I'm going to keep at it, hoping to see a BMI of a little under 22 next month. This is a relatively modest rate of loss, but even then I've needed to use some reserves of self discipline to keep it up. It's getting easier to exercise self control now though, and that might prove to be the most significant benefit of setting modest goals, because I think even I can keep it up, weak willed as I am!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Keep at it buddy,most of us on here have issues with weight but we are doing our best with the fight ! Summer rain is great because it's warm ! Welcome to the site and keep at it !

Berties

Fast and careful!
Welcome along,cycling is addictive so if you're keen ,you will trim up quickly,get out in the fresh air as much as you can ,don't let the weather put you off ,also there are plenty of great weather gear collections on the market

D

Deleted member 20519

Summer rain is great because it's warm !
Not in Scotland :rolleyes:

Top Bottom