Norfolk police safety initiative.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
If the secret booby took the advice of Cyclecraft and didn't ride in the gutter then half those drivers wouldn't have been able to pull off those moves.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's a talk about it at tomorrow night's Norwich Cycling Campaign meeting, 7.30pm at the Charing Cross Centre on St John Maddermarket.
23415287_1918294694853401_1277646359424267441_o.jpg

I won't be there because I'll be at KLWNBUG's monthly second-Thursday meeting at Ferry Lane Social Club at the same time, King's Lynn, but I hope our friends to the east will tell us all about it later :smile:

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
There's a talk about it at tomorrow night's Norwich Cycling Campaign meeting, 7.30pm at the Charing Cross Centre on St John Maddermarket.
View attachment 382300

I won't be there because I'll be at KLWNBUG's monthly second-Thursday meeting at Ferry Lane Social Club at the same time, King's Lynn, but I hope our friends to the east will tell us all about it later :smile:
What do you make of it?

mjr

Admittedly, 4 drivers is not a great average when I consider how many I could pull over on an average run, but you have to start somewhere.
It's still not clear to me how long the police were on the roads for. The accurate timestamps on that video are all within 5 minutes (there's no way one of them was at 0254). That bit of the inner ring (King Street to Ber Street) is a bit of a hotspot for crap overtaking.

What's not mentioned in the video but was in the EDP was that one of the four stopped was arrested on suspicion of drug-driving and the car seized for no insurance/MOT/licence. That's some brass neck to accept the education session option when you've all that wrong!

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
It's still not clear to me how long the police were on the roads for. The accurate timestamps on that video are all within 5 minutes (there's no way one of them was at 0254). That bit of the inner ring (King Street to Ber Street) is a bit of a hotspot for crap overtaking.

What's not mentioned in the video but was in the EDP was that one of the four stopped was arrested on suspicion of drug-driving and the car seized for no insurance/MOT/licence. That's some brass neck to accept the education session option when you've all that wrong!
That's bad, but it's still something that I would welcome a bit more local to me.

Maybe show it to the guy who tried to overtake me in Helsby tonight with an island in the middle of the road then slammed on his brakes and shouted obscenities ....

now relax ...

mjr

Are these ever anything more than a publicity stunt?
I've got the impression at the Casualty Reduction Partnership subgroup meetings (which local CN, CUK and BC groups participate in) that they're sincere about it but this is admittedly partly a publicity stunt, because educating drivers before they cock up an overtake is preferable to dealing with the consequences. Surely that's a good thing?

I've got the impression at the Casualty Reduction Partnership subgroup meetings (which local CN, CUK and BC groups participate in) that they're sincere about it but this is admittedly partly a publicity stunt, because educating drivers before they cock up an overtake is preferable to dealing with the consequences. Surely that's a good thing?
900,000 or so people in Norfolk. Let's say 250,000 drivers. Only 249,996 to go.

NickNick

Are these ever anything more than a publicity stunt?

Basically not, they've done a few in the west midlands and after the first one they started issuing fines instead of just talking to the drivers, but they're neither frequent enough nor of a big enough scope to achieve anything. A critical mass of drivers need to think there's a real chance of being pulled for it to drive actual noticeable behavioural change. A handful of pulls every few months Birmingham wide just isn't good enough

Top Bottom