North Argentina

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dannytrigger

Hello, I am going to be cycling in North Argentina in a couple of weeks. I have a flight into Iguazu (Brazil/Paraguay/Argentina) and out of Santiago in Chile. I have 6-7 weeks. The whole stretch is 2,500km, but I want to enjoy it and not rush it, so I won't be cycling all of it.

Has anyone cycled in that area? Any tips? Good routes/places to aim for? Bad routes/places to avoid?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Danny

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Wow, quite an adventure I hope it goes well.
Don’t mention the Falklands!

Just out of interest, what bike and kit are you taking?

Tin Pot

Guru
Hello, I am going to be cycling in North Argentina in a couple of weeks. I have a flight into Iguazu (Brazil/Paraguay/Argentina) and out of Santiago in Chile. I have 6-7 weeks. The whole stretch is 2,500km, but I want to enjoy it and not rush it, so I won't be cycling all of it.

Has anyone cycled in that area? Any tips? Good routes/places to aim for? Bad routes/places to avoid?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Danny
I've not cycled there but I have been there. It gets pretty wet around Foz de Iguazu, so don't take your bike but you must visit, the bird park is pretty special too, if you're European anyway.

Santiago de Chile is very welcoming in my experience, I ended up at two house parties from strangers I'd met during the day and had a great time.

Cycling from one to the other? Good luck! :smile:

just don't say no

that's my advice

I wish you all the very best, its a wonderful place.

if you do go to Buenos Aires, go and pay your respects to the mothers of the disappeared. it will put life into perspective

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Cycled from Constitucion on the Pacific coast in Chile to Buenos Aires in 2011. Due to a couple of mishaps (bike lost by airline was one, border closed was another) we only had nine days to do it.
Expect tarmac roads to become dirt roads without warning. Trucks will expect you to get out of the way. There will be long distances where you won't be able to get food or water. We found people to be very friendly (apart from a German couple who told us their obviously deserted hotel was full) but they were so friendly they would often give us incorrect information rather than disappoint us by saying they didn't know.
The landscape in the Andes was stupendous. The landscape of the Pampas was also stupendous but became wearing after a couple of days (the constant headwind didn't help).
Glad I did it - wouldn't do it again.

Top Bottom