North Dakota says Hi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KCC74

Regular
I'm a teacher that relaxes by biking the plains of ND. It's flat but always windy.

I live in the middle of the state where most roads are gravel. Most of my rides are out into the wind & back with the wind pushing me home.

I have 4 bikes I ride, 2 are vintage: Schwinn 1972 Sports Tourer & 1974 Super Sport. I also have a Trek 1200 ('82 I think) & a Transeo (the only non-road bike).

KCC74

Chris S

Legendary Member
:welcome: There are quite a few US members on this site.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Welcome to the forum!

I hope you and your family are doing ok...? I just watched a report on the news over here about the Coronavirus situation in Dakota and it sounded really grim! (I think that it might have been South Dakota though.)

I was struck by how flat it was there and imagined the wind ripping across the plains. I'd find that pretty hard to cope with on the bike, but as you say - ride out into the wind and fly home!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Hello!

How many roads have you got to ride on KCC... is it a case of riding dead straight for an hour and turning round or have you a network of loops between accessible towns?

OP
OP
KCC74

KCC74

Regular
Welcome to the forum!

I hope you and your family are doing ok...? I just watched a report on the news over here about the Coronavirus situation in Dakota and it sounded really grim! (I think that it might have been South Dakota though.)

I was struck by how flat it was there and imagined the wind ripping across the plains. I'd find that pretty hard to cope with on the bike, but as you say - ride out into the wind and fly home!
ND is bad in virus impact. It's amazing how something so easy - & so obviously effective - as putting on a mask when around others somehow became a personal rights issue. I've always taken pride in how we NDakotans take care of the people around us, but somehow telling people to mask up has been taken (by some) to be an attack on individual rights.

Ah well, I & my family are careful to mask & stay 6' away from others & we've avoided the outbreak so far.

I've picked up a Dawes Galaxy & am cleaning & refurbishing it in the basement. It'll isolate me this winter & when spring comes, isolate me on the road too.

Hope you & yours staying safe too.

KCC

OP
OP
KCC74

KCC74

Regular
Hello!

How many roads have you got to ride on KCC... is it a case of riding dead straight for an hour and turning round or have you a network of loops between accessible towns?

I'm in the middle of a rural area. 1 paved road E/W with little traffic & a state highway N/S with lots. Mostly flat with nearest town 10 miles away on the N/S road. So I tend to go E or W depending on where the winds from. Usually straight but I've a couple rectangles I take on Sundays cause they require the state highway & out here there's not much traffic on a Sunday.

Big John

Guru
Welcome, KCC. Thought you might like to see a Schwinn we currently have in our shop to make you feel at home 👍

Attachments

• IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
KCC74

KCC74

Regular
Welcome, KCC. Thought you might like to see a Schwinn we currently have in our shop to make you feel at home 👍
Ok, I'm old enough to have ridden a bike like that - granted not a Schwinn - it was a 2 speed Sears Roebucks. My 1st Schwinn was a 1974 Super Sport - incidentally, it is Opaque Red, the only SS ever in red, & the last year the SS was available. I bought it with the money I got for hs graduation, & it was the 1st bike I refurbished in 2018.

KCC

Top Bottom