North Glasgow loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Any tips on this route, any good roads I'm missing out on, or any dull roads that could be replaced with something else? It could maybe do with losing one of the climbs...

https://www.strava.com/routes/22157358

Can a road bike even cycle down the east side of Loch Lomond, or is that path mountain bike only? I've only ever gone as far as the car park for Ben Lomond. If not I could loop around Loch Katrine from Brig O'Turk but that would mean missing out the windy road between there and Aberfoyle.

edit - forget the West Highland Way path, have just seen photos of it, never gonna happen :smile:

Last edited:

Slioch

Guru
The east side of Loch Lomond is probably mountain bike territory, unless you're prepared to push/carry for a bit.

From Brig O'Turk you could do the northern circuit of Loch Katrine (all tarmac) to Stronachlacher (ace cafe there), then down to Aberfoyle. If you feel that you really must get some more hills in, then take the minor road from Gartmore over to Drymen to rejoin your original route.

But, I suspect you're planning a 100 miler, in which case you could go from Drymen to Balloch, then join the Loch Lomond cyclepath back to Glasgow, which should get you close.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Any tips on this route, any good roads I'm missing out on, or any dull roads that could be replaced with something else? It could maybe do with losing one of the climbs...

https://www.strava.com/routes/22157358

Can a road bike even cycle down the east side of Loch Lomond, or is that path mountain bike only? I've only ever gone as far as the car park for Ben Lomond. If not I could loop around Loch Katrine from Brig O'Turk but that would mean missing out the windy road between there and Aberfoyle.

edit - forget the West Highland Way path, have just seen photos of it, never gonna happen :smile:

You’re right about the WHW track. I know someone who carried his mountain bike over it...

Try this https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28612823 for inspiration... nice quiet lanes - just add Dukes Pass for flavour.. 👍

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
The east side of Loch Lomond is probably mountain bike territory, unless you're prepared to push/carry for a bit.

From Brig O'Turk you could do the northern circuit of Loch Katrine (all tarmac) to Stronachlacher (ace cafe there), then down to Aberfoyle. If you feel that you really must get some more hills in, then take the minor road from Gartmore over to Drymen to rejoin your original route.

Thanks, yeah that's about what I started with before trying to go down by Loch Lomond.

Is the Brig O'Turk to Aberfoyle road a good cycle? I remember it being fun in a car but often that means it's not so much fun on a bike!

Slioch

Guru
Is the Brig O'Turk to Aberfoyle road a good cycle? I remember it being fun in a car but often that means it's not so much fun on a bike!

That'll be the Dukes Pass. It's a proper hill climb whichever direction you approach it from, all rideable if you're reasonably fit, and a good "scalp" to have under your belt. Fun? No (not to mere mortals anyway). Satisfying? Yes. Scenic? Very.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Ah okay - I already have the Tak Ma Doon road from Kilsyth so I'll probably pass on the Duke's Pass. There are quite a few bailouts on that route too, if I don't want to do the whole thing on the day.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Thanks for the tips - this is what I ended up doing https://www.strava.com/routes/22157358 really enjoyed the Crow Road climb, had read that the road surface down to Fintry wasn't the best but it was fine apart from one rough patch. Had more problems on the descent to Aberfoyle, lots of loose chippings. Hardly any traffic even in the school holiday week, and perfect weather, 10C and a little wind.

I could have gone back via Balloch but I got my fix on the first half of the ride so just headed straight home from Aberfoyle.

Top Bottom