North Norfolk routes for this weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Essex Spurs

Good evening. I am off to North Norfolk for Easter and wanted to know about access away from main roads.
questions are: Is the coastal path from Mundesley to Sea Palling suitable for mountain bikes?
Also is the path along the Thurne from Acle Bridge towards Ludham suitable for Mountain bikes?
I need to know because otherwise I will have to travel on A roads for short distances and with three others don't really fancy it.
I am really excited about this weekend as it would be a first and although distance won't be amazing it sets a trends for discovering the whole of East Anglia with my bike carrier.
Thank you for any replies received.
Dave

DanZac

I cant help you with the questions, but i took my audax bike up last year for an autumn long weekend centered round Swaffham and had a really good time. Great little roads, not much traffic on the back roads and some great scenery.
Hope the weathers good for you and you enjoy as much as i did.

dnrc

Veteran
don't know about your first question but i would think it would be

re the path from acle to ludham, that definitely is as i have done it on my cotic Cross bike

there's a nice pub right by the river in thurne, and if you like mills you'll be all set!

OP
OP
The Essex Spurs

The Essex Spurs

[
re the path from acle to ludham, that definitely is as i have done it on my cotic Cross bike

there's a nice pub right by the river in thurne, and if you like mills you'll be all set!

Thanks for confirming that.Don't know what a cotic cross bike is but will look it up.
My plan then is to leave Walcott along coastal path (if it's possible) and cycle down to maybe Waxham or Palling and
then come inland to Hickling Broad and then Ludham Acle and back to Walcott.
I will check google maps first just to check it isnt 600 miles round trip!!!!

dnrc

Veteran
cotic - just a cross/adventure bike. drop bars / 700c wheels / no suspension. a mountain bike will be fine.

sounds like a good ride.

you could either go in hickling way, then over the river at potter heigham or keep going down the coast to maybe somerton and pick the river path up in somerton or martham.

Ice2911

Über Member
Mundesley has a great cafe, opposite the Spar shop, reasonable to. Mountain bikes should be fine on the trails you say. If you get to Winterton, great cakes at beach cafe and the Fishermans pub is good. Some really quiet roads all around that area. You can probably guess my motivation from this reply. Have fun!

OP
OP
The Essex Spurs

The Essex Spurs

Putting the videos on is murder but have now got one on so go to Youtube and type in

Mid Essex Cycling North Norfolk Coastal Lanes Part One

hope you like it and one more to come if I can edit it!!!!

Last edited:

dnrc

Veteran
good to hear you had a good time. and that you didn't miss the match for cycling, that would have been heresy.

I got my cycling in before watching us thrash bournemouth!

COYS

OP
OP
The Essex Spurs

The Essex Spurs

good to hear you had a good time. and that you didn't miss the match for cycling, that would have been heresy.

I got my cycling in before watching us thrash bournemouth!

COYS
Well thanks for viewing did you watch the 3 minute one or the six minute one.I have accidentally deleted a video I made last wee of a cycle ride to the Flitch Way at Rayne Essex.Youtube drives me bonkers!!!! I will have to cycle before next weeks semi final or I will get arrested for being severely drunk in charge of a mechanised vehicle!!!!!
I am now hooked on cycling out of the area and must return to North Norfolk quick as!!!Next trips planned are The Fens in Cambs and maybe a big euro adventure somewhere.

OP
OP
The Essex Spurs

The Essex Spurs

Mundesley has a great cafe, opposite the Spar shop, reasonable to. Mountain bikes should be fine on the trails you say. If you get to Winterton, great cakes at beach cafe and the Fishermans pub is good. Some really quiet roads all around that area. You can probably guess my motivation from this reply. Have fun!
Thanks for the reply.Yes I did have fun....bloody fantastic fun!!!!!
You can watch the video Mid Essex Cycling North Norfolk on Youtube.
P.s watch the six minute version as it's even more boring than the three minute one!!!!!

OP
OP
The Essex Spurs

The Essex Spurs

Went past the Spar when I turned off to Knapton but had already eaten at the Jonet opposite the amusements.
Second video which features Mundesley following shortly.I am currently making more cycling films than Bollywood!!!

Top Bottom