North Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fell

Having so far completed Lands End to Penrith I am hoping to make John o Groats this September. I am looking at the A9 north of Dornoch to get the final miles. Anybody travelled this road? Am I being suicidal to even think about it or is it OK on a bike?

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Yep, to the former. About 15 years ago I completed LEJOG on the A9 from Dornoch northwards to Latheron, then A99 to Wick. It wasn't at all lethal, but neither did I find it particularly enjoyable. But that wasn't so much about the traffic and perhaps me being ready to see the end?

robgul

Legendary Member
As above - I've ridden it both ways - no big deal as the traffic is relatively light (that's relative to the south!) - the drop and climb back up at Berriedale Braes is pretty severe but doable.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I would normally avoid it and take the scenic route and this year in particular the NC500 and staycations make it even worse than usual.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Take the mountain road out of Allnes and go via Lairg and Strathnaver. From Bettyhill you have the stunning north coast, with views of the Pentland Firth and, suddenly, the Orkneys. I guess it depends how many days you're taking and whether you can find somewhere in Thurso to stay and finish off with a half day (and get south to Wick (say) to stay afterwards.
My last night was the Crask Inn (under its 2015 management), but Lairg would have been doable (9 day) (I took the ferry to the South Ronaldsay from JoG and then back south Kirkwall-Aberdeen).
If you do travel the main road, consider splitting north after Lybster.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Take the mountain road out of Allnes and go via Lairg and Strathnaver. From Bettyhill you have the stunning north coast, with views of the Pentland Firth and, suddenly, the Orkneys. I guess it depends how many days you're taking and whether you can find somewhere in Thurso to stay and finish off with a half day (and get south to Wick (say) to stay afterwards.
My last night was the Crask Inn (under its 2015 management), but Lairg would have been doable (9 day) (I took the ferry to the South Ronaldsay from JoG and then back south Kirkwall-Aberdeen).
If you do travel the main road, consider splitting north after Lybster.
I would second that with the proviso that if you say "the Orkneys" in Orkney you will get shot.
I have had stern lectures on that from islanders.:blush:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Lots of people finish their ride on the A9/A99. It the shortest. There are more scenic routes.
We did LEJOG a couple of weeks ago and I think we had a pretty good route

1. Having gone over the Dornoch Firth bridge we turned immediately right into Dornoch and then out via minor road to Loch Fleet whcih was spectacular with loads of seals lazing on sandbanks. This rejoins the A9
2. A9/A99 as far as Lybster. The traffic is OK on this stretch and the drivers all seemed nice and polite
3. Left at Lybster (actually somewhere called Occumster) and took the Camster/Watten road. Absolutely spectacular and you get chance to visit the Camster Cairns, some of the oldest Neolithic structures in UK
4. Via Lyth and series of minor roads, join the main road to JoG (from Thurso) at Canisbay and then you're only a couple of miles away

Left at Lybster is waaaay more attractive than the A99 via Wick. It's only 1 mile further so is probably quicker as you don't have to ride through Wick

Last edited:
Top Bottom