North Wales Coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pes

Me and a friend are soon to do a little tour from Cleethorpes to Anglesey (via Sheffield and Widnes) and I would be grateful for any advice regarding cycle paths and the North Wales coast line.

Does anyone know if you can ride from Rhyl to Colwyn Bay along cycle paths? Or perhaps even further east from Connors Quay or Flint to Conway.

I am aware of extensive cycle paths at Colwyn Bay and Llandudno but I would be grateful if anyone has any information regarding a route from Conway to Anglesey and specifically around the A55 tunnels at Pen-y-clip and Penmaenbach.

I am reliably informed that the whole of the coast line from Conway to Anglesey can be ridden on cycle paths, but I am not sure, and any advice regarding this will be much appreciated.

A lot of questions posed here and I thank you all in anticipation.

Paul

Plax

Guru
You'll be pretty much okay until Conwy. Conwy onwards you basically have a pavement, that isn't very wide, running right alongside the Eastbound carriageway. The pavement isn't wide enough for passing on and is kind of on an angle. It usually isn't very busy so if you're lucky you probably won't meet anyone coming the other way.
Apparently it's "unsuitable for leisure cyclists"
http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/ncr5_conwy_llanf.htm
(That link also provides a pretty good map of the Sustrans routes).
http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/pol_chief.htm

The credit crunch has claimed another victim namely Wrekin who were constructing the bridges between Penmaenmawr and Llanfairfechan. Construction has therefore ground to a halt about 90% of the way through;
http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/pe_y_cl_brs.htm
This section has by far got to be the worse ever. Whenever I've cycled it I always go on the pavement along the pedestrian route and duck under the signs. I've not used the route since the bridges have been started, but I passed it in the car yesterday and the old cycle route looks like it has been coned off. What a nightmare, it literally spits you out between the carriageways and going from Pen to Llanfair the cars come out of the tunnel so fast you are dicing with death trying to cross over.
My advice on this bit is to use the pedestrian route like everyone else does (again doesn't tend to be very busy) and then push your bike up the steps over the bridge into Llanfair.

From Llanfair the fun begins (and you don't really go along the coast anymore either). Cycle straight through Llanfair, there will be a little stretch along another bit of pavement running along the Westbound carriageway. This will take you to Abergwyngregin and you have to take the back roads into Tal Y Bont. It is really badly signposted so keep your eyes peeled (I very rarely take this route preferring to risk the A55 instead). It is a single track road. It is only open to local traffic but be careful, I've had several frights meeting cars coming rounds bends. You usually have to climb into the hedge for the car to get past. It used to have grass running down the centre of the road, but last time I went on it most of the grass had been tarmac'ed over. It is still very gravelly and one bit always has running water going across it. It is pitch black in the dark and quite eery so you need fantastic lights or go on it during the day.

So unfortunately my neck of the woods isn't very well provided with when it comes to avoiding the A55. Darn shame really as there is one section of the A55 just after Aber that uses the old road which can be a bit hair raising on the bike with a lot of traffic. The Sustrans route can take me a good 3/4 hr longer than going on the A55.

OP
OP
pes

pes

Thanks for your reply Plax.

I drive the A55 regularly going to Anglesey and back, but can't remember seeing a cyclist on it. Is this because it is illegal or just plain bloody stupid to ride on it.

Plax

Guru
pes said:
Thanks for your reply Plax.

I drive the A55 regularly going to Anglesey and back, but can't remember seeing a cyclist on it. Is this because it is illegal or just plain bloody stupid to ride on it.

It isn't illegal along that stretch. I wouldn't class it as stupid either. In some respects I feel safer on it than on it than on a 60mph country road. The only hairy bit is the old road as you don't have that bit of "hard shoulder" as an escape route. I tend to time my journeys when it is quietest though. I've seen a few cyclists on it myself, but only between Llanfair and Anglesey. Obviously there are certain parts that you can't cycle on (i.e through the tunnels or through Colwyn Bay).

Top Bottom