North Wales - July 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
This year's tour we decided we wanted to explore North Wales countryside and coast and found a lovely write up on Cycle Travel offering a 260 mile circular and decided to attempt it, sort of.......
link for credit - https://cycle.travel/by/davidm/nort...ay, 270-,parking near the tourist information.

Day 1 - Welshpool to Ruthin

An early set off at 5:30 became slightly later as my mate had snoozed his alarm and I'd forgotten to get diesel the day before however, we were on our way for 6:00 and enjoying the catch up with each other. Roadworks and congestion, along with a services breakfast stop saw us into Welshpool later than planned but on the road for 11:00.

SUV comes in handy here 😎

20230703_102531.jpg

On the road and immediately into the hills so we settled in and mile crunched through some of the best countryside we've experienced. It took its toll and was very slow going at times so had a quick stop at a village I can't pronounce to fuel up on flapjack and water just before Lake Vyrnwy.

Rest stop half way up a climb

20230703_121838.jpg

Highlight of day one was this lake, stunning.

20230703_141303.jpg

20230703_141418.jpg

I have no idea where this next photo was taken, I think it was around Bala, I'm sure some more informed members of this group will shed some light. What I do remember is I was done with hills at this point and really struggling and couldn't thank the guy in the Jag enough for stopping to give me a bottle of water. A fellow cyclist who chatted for a few minutes and assured me the worst of the climbing was over after this point.

20230703_155945.jpg

The rest of the day, despite being beautiful was really hard work.
I knew I wasn't bike fit but didn't realise I was this unfit!
We rolled into Ruthin around 21:30 and checked into The Feathers pub. Basically had the full flat to ourselves with a big kitchen/dining area and would be good for bigger groups of riders, would recommend.
Quick shower and pint in the bar revealing the only place open for food, barring a Wetherspoons, was the takeaway conveniently placed next door to the pub and was closing in 10 minutes. Kebabs to go and into bed for the best sleep I've had for a very long time.
Very accommodating with bikes and friendly bar staff and for the price was a great place to stay the night.
67 miles done and feeling chuffed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Day 2 - Ruthin to Bangor

Woke early and hit Wetherspoons for breakfast as it was the only place open unless we wanted to cook (we didn't). The fact it had a 'Spoons at all was unusual, to me at least, as Ruthin seemed a very quiet quaint sort of place however no complaints to 2 hungry travellers.

On the road again and knowing this would be a nicer day elevation wise we let our legs tick over and unstiffen and before long had clocked up 20 miles to our first coffee stop at Rhuddlan then my mate decided he wanted an ice cream at Rhyll which was fine by me as despite the nicer ride, I was definitely feeling my lack of fitness.

Again I'm rubbish with Welsh place names but the coast route was beautiful with a tail wind for most of the way and we made it through the unpronounceable towns to Llandudno.

20230704_135550.jpg

20230704_150912.jpg

The path had been slightly slow going due to building works but at just just short of 40 miles in we thought we'd stop for lunch at a lovely little Spanish deli we picked simply because, it was en route. I wish I'd made a note of the place name to share - Spanish cheese, chorizo and homemade bread and relish that I'm still thinking about now and a lovely owner for who nothing was too much trouble.
*edit, I've since used the magic of Google,
Casa Reme Delicatessen

20230704_155855.jpg

20230704_160146.jpg

At this point after Conwy I was struggling and needed a few stops to rest a while, my mate went on without me with my blessing and he assured me I was never more than 5 minutes behind him.
As we approached Bangor with a few miles to go the Garmins had a wobble. We entered a small ford where it told us to turn right however couldn't due to a stream. The only way was up and a quick Google suggested to the top then 1.5 miles into Bangor. Halfway up the climb the Garmin re routed and took us down what it called a lane however was more mtb trail. No more than a foot and half wide, overgrown with thorns and rough as a badgers but good fun even on a road bike.
After riding a while and wondering where we were another google said 2 miles! It had taken us well out the way and we realised we should've carried on up that hill.
Nay matter, nearly there and found the Menai hotel and bar easily enough around 18:00 for another easy check in and a locked office for the bikes. Not the fanciest of pub lodgings and quite noisy in the bar with students but friendly enough, no noise in the room and beds were very comfortable, oh and cheap!
No food to be had but another recommended takeaway and a few beers saw us off to bed for another well earned kip. I'm sure there would have been somewhere open close by to eat but we just couldn't be bothered and the big leather sofas in the bar were too comfortable to leave for any length of time.
60 miles and feeling it everywhere.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Day 3 - Bangor to Dolgellau

This is where the 'sort of' comes in.

It was never my intention to ride the full route as I knew I wasn't bike fit this year and the elevation was more than I've ever been used to.
I woke in the morning feeling like I'd gone ten rounds, I had zero energy and without being too graphic; red raw 'down there' with the hotel towels showing the extend of the damage with light blood stains.
We had already discussed this prior to setting off and with my mate not being the most confident person, but wanting to push himself a bit, had decided on a vague plan.
He suggested completing the route solo if I wasn't up to it after Bangor as he's not a confident solo rider but wants to change that with the safety net of a bailout if needed. So I booked a train from Bangor to Welshpool back to the car, then drove to Dolgellau which was our next stop to meet him there.

No problem with the bike on the train, was a lovely journey and had some great conversation with some hikers

20230705_101943.jpg

As much as I love cycling, I also love driving.

20230705_150845.jpg

And food....

20230705_153811.jpg

I checked in early to the Ty Seren guesthouse and was met by the delightful owner Nick, probably one of the friendliest humans I've ever encountered and quickly knew where to eat this evening.
My pal arrived in great time a few hours after I had, had kept me updated on his adventure throughout and loved every minute. I had taken the majority of his gear so he was traveling lighter which he said he appreciated on the climbs.

I had a lovely few hours exploring Bangor and Dolgellau and drove some amazing roads which I'll remember for years to come.
My pal rode 68 miles, I drove 37 😁

Ty Seren guesthouse, please stay here if you ever get chance, absolutely lovely owner and a 209 year old quirky building formally an old mill so we were informed.

20230705_160005.jpg

Day 4 - Dolgellau to Welshpool

Fantastic breakfast and hospitality from Nick, showed us his trusted Gary Fisher mtb which has been replaced by his newer e-bike, not that I felt he needs it especially as he's an ex forces certified wanderer who has completed numerous expeditions including Everest!
My mate set off for the last leg around 8:15.
I'd fallen in love with Dolgellau and spent a couple of lazy hours wandering around shops and had a lovely coffee at another place I can't pronounce.
Set off to Welshpool the long way stopping at some viewpoints and even managed a couple of miles walking a trail despite my very broken undercarriage.

Don't think the cows were keen on my imitations.....

20230704_124535.jpg

More gorgeous Welsh scenery

20230706_100442.jpg

Arrived at Welshpool early afternoon as cycling pal/Superman was hitting 45 miles into his leg and decided on a sandwich at The Royal Oak complete with 'fat chips', then set off wandering the town to await his arrival.
At 60 miles in he was nearly with me so a quick trip to Greggs to get him some much needed fuel and loaded up his bike when he arrived while he used the local loos to freshen up and change.
Set off back home around 18:00 and thankfully missed Love Island.
70 miles for the cyclist today to complete the tour.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Apologies for the last leg of the trip being mainly driving and exploring however I wanted to include it rather than simply leaving it at me being unable to carry on.
Initially I saw it as a fail on my part but quickly saw the brighter side. I have had two amazing days cycling and two amazing days exploring a part of Britain I wouldn't normally get to see. I've seen some amazing places, eaten some great food and met some very friendly people along the way whos stories will be with me forever and have now returned home feeling relaxed and accomplished. I've had a great catch up with a mate I haven't seen much this year and enabled him to complete his own accomplishments whilst enjoying myself hugely.

Pic dump to end another great tour, could share more and wish I'd taken alot more. Next trip I'd like to take more time and enjoy the places we visit if we can get the time to do it, last couple of days have been lovely wandering around.

20230703_104249.jpg

20230703_150837.jpg

20230703_151142.jpg

20230704_123014.jpg

20230704_135246.jpg

20230704_135250.jpg

20230705_140644.jpg

20230705_153121.jpg

20230706_094006.jpg

20230706_105829.jpg

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Looks fantastic!
I'm starting to have worrying thoughts about the Lon Las Cymru, even though I don't do hills well and Wales is well-known for them.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Looks fantastic!
I'm starting to have worrying thoughts about the Lon Las Cymru, even though I don't do hills well and Wales is well-known for them.

I've enjoyed the bits I've done, taking it steady and remembering it's a tour, not a race.
I also don't do hills too well, who knew Wales had hills.....:blush:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Apologies for the last leg of the trip being mainly driving and exploring however I wanted to include it rather than simply leaving it at me being unable to carry on.
Don't worry about it IMO. You were injured. It's probably good for this place to include a few stories of how people cope with that and you lightened the load on the other rider who carried on. Hope it doesn't deter you but it don't sound like it has.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

@mjr Absolutely hasn't, this is the third bike tour we've done, other two are written up here and I'm usually a keen cyclist just not this year.
Already planning next year and will find time to get out more this year now things have settled down
Plus I need to keep riding to post in this fabulous forum ^_^

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
@Scotchlovingcylist Great write up and photos. Changing your plan last minute is part of the fun, good to see you were able to do it. Some people I know have a fixed plan and get all stressed if, for some reason, they can't stick to it.
The photo is one for the "Name this road thread", someone there would be able to pin point it. I'd take a stab at the Northern Hirnant pass, just after Lake Vyrnwy. It's a beautiful view either way.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I do have history with Welsh hills. I've done Sychnant Pass many a time, and once got up Llanberis Pass without too much unpleasantness (but quite a lot of walking).

I can do Sychnant Pass coming from Conwy but can't do it coming from Penmawnmawr as it is too steep for me then.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I think I've almost always climbed it from Pen. My granny used to live in Llanfairfechan, and we'd sometimes stay at Sychnant House, when it was a hotel. I do remember the climb kicking up a notch after the Austrian restaurant.

Top Bottom