North Wales - July 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This year's tour we decided we wanted to explore North Wales countryside and coast and found a lovely write up on Cycle Travel offering a 260 mile circular and decided to attempt it, sort of.......
link for credit - https://cycle.travel/by/davidm/north_wales_circular#:~:text=A four-day, 270-,parking near the tourist information.

Day 1 - Welshpool to Ruthin

An early set off at 5:30 became slightly later as my mate had snoozed his alarm and I'd forgotten to get diesel the day before however, we were on our way for 6:00 and enjoying the catch up with each other. Roadworks and congestion, along with a services breakfast stop saw us into Welshpool later than planned but on the road for 11:00.

SUV comes in handy here 😎

View attachment 697613

On the road and immediately into the hills so we settled in and mile crunched through some of the best countryside we've experienced. It took its toll and was very slow going at times so had a quick stop at a village I can't pronounce to fuel up on flapjack and water just before Lake Vyrnwy.

Rest stop half way up a climb

View attachment 697617

Highlight of day one was this lake, stunning.

View attachment 697619

View attachment 697618

I have no idea where this next photo was taken, I think it was around Bala, I'm sure some more informed members of this group will shed some light. What I do remember is I was done with hills at this point and really struggling and couldn't thank the guy in the Jag enough for stopping to give me a bottle of water. A fellow cyclist who chatted for a few minutes and assured me the worst of the climbing was over after this point.

View attachment 697621
The rest of the day, despite being beautiful was really hard work.
I knew I wasn't bike fit but didn't realise I was this unfit!
We rolled into Ruthin around 21:30 and checked into The Feathers pub. Basically had the full flat to ourselves with a big kitchen/dining area and would be good for bigger groups of riders, would recommend.
Quick shower and pint in the bar revealing the only place open for food, barring a Wetherspoons, was the takeaway conveniently placed next door to the pub and was closing in 10 minutes. Kebabs to go and into bed for the best sleep I've had for a very long time.
Very accommodating with bikes and friendly bar staff and for the price was a great place to stay the night.
67 miles done and feeling chuffed.

The last photo is Bwlch-y-Groes, second highest tarmac road pass in Wales. It’s got some kickers, and the reservoir you passed is likely Lake Vyrnwy.

Here’s a Google maps link to where you took the photo.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qm841DcmP5EEumcC8?g_st=ic

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Bwlch-y-Groes .... It’s got some kickers, and the reservoir you passed is likely Lake Vyrnwy.

Bit of an understatement there!

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
The last photo is Bwlch-y-Groes, second highest tarmac road pass in Wales. It’s got some kickers, and the reservoir you passed is likely Lake Vyrnwy.

Here’s a Google maps link to where you took the photo.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qm841DcmP5EEumcC8?g_st=ic

Excellent, thank you.
The Lake was Vyrnwy, I knew that bit 🙂 was a lovely ride around it.
Second highest sounds a cool story to bore my family with 😅

Top Bottom