North West Forum Noob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadMing

Hi all,

I have been lurking in the background for a few weeks, reading up on interesting topics, and generally sponging off all your advice on the quiet !

Time to say hello.

I am 42 years of age, live in the North West, not too far from Manchester, not to far from Liverpool, not too far from Preston, in fact, not far from anywhere really!

I had not ridden a bike for nigh on 25 years, long gone where the days of my Chopper, BMX, 3 speed racer and Raleigh Bomber, when I had a brain jolt, beginnings of a midlife crisis, call it what you will, when I decided that it would be a good idea to start cycling to work. It's only 7 miles each way, and I tend to work only 4 longer shifts per week, so getting me fitter and doing a bit for the environment at the same time.

So I got me a Claud Butler Levante, which is essentially what I have discovered later to be a called a hybrid, though to me it was a road bike with a flat bar, as I could not at the time bring myself to ride a drop bar as it had been so long. Loved it, what a surprising feeling of freedom ! Anyway, a few other guys at work started cycling in also, and a few of us got to chatting and it appears that we have roped ourselves into a LeJog in 2012 *gulps*.....well it can't be that bad! Seems I caught the bug badly, as within 18 months of riding the CB, I had the urge, for a new bike....i assume this always happens to us weak-willed and impressionable types? Anyway, I spent, weeks if not months looking at various different road bikes and narrowed down a few options. In the end I went for a BMC Road Racer in a nasty orange and white, I absolutely love it ! Bang for buck it seemed an incredible deal, last years model etc, better spec than this years all over the bike, but surplus to requirements I imagine, got it for a whisper of it's original price. So now I am set, 2 bikes, a load of enthusiasm and a weak mind when it comes to gear.

I should of known this would happen, my other "hobbies" are hill-walking/climbing, just how many waterproofs and tents does one man need ? And I am a guitarist, way too many 6 strings littering the house, only now they have company in the way of cycling DVDs and various lovely team tops, i simply love the Prendas vintage tops, awesome stuff.

Back to cycling. I tend to get my 4 commutes in each week, and a couple of other rides on my midweek rest day and one evening, usually 50+ and 25+, gives me a nice few miles per week, although I have 2 years to now get in a position to be doing 90-100 miles per day, for 10 days !! Can't wait.

Thanks for listening/reading, looking forward to chatting around the forums and leaching on all your experience !!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
:welcome:

I'm in the NW too, but oop at the northern end. I see you've discovered the n+1 rule already! (The number of bikes a cyclist needs = N+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned).

I do walking too - 4 rucksacs of different sizes, 2 tents...

(And kayaking - 2 kayaks...)

Stephenite

Membå
Hello from another 42 year old, ex Raleigh Bomber owner from the north west (originally). :hello:

Have fun, stay safe, get fit and good luck.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm living in the NW(-ish) too and I was 42 once. At least, I think I was - it would have been a long time ago, and the old braincells start to play up...

Why don't you NW riders come along with us on the  Rochdale-Blackpool CycleChat forum ride a week on Saturday?  :smile:

Top Bottom